Director, Infectious Diseases Telemedicine & Medical Education; Director of Pre-Clerkship Curriculum in the Office of Medial Education
Institute of Human Virology S518
Education and Training
BA - Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
MS - Physiology, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
MD - Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
Residency - Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Fellowship - Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Patel graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in 2003. He then completed a residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at the University of Maryland Medical Center in 2007, serving as Chief Resident for the Med/Peds residency during his 4th year. Following residency, he stayed on at UMMC for his fellowship in Infectious Diseases. In 2009, he joined the faculty at the Institute of Human Virology (IHV) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. While on faculty, he lived in Lusaka, Zambia working with the University of Zambia (UNZA) to develop a residency program in HIV Medicine for Zambian physicians at UNZA. Subsequently, Dr. Patel developed a similar program for the University of Notre Dame-Port au Prince in Haiti.
In 2010, Dr. Patel started a dedicated ID consult service for the Medical Intensive Care Unit at UMMC and was the chief of service until 2016. In 2016, he became chief of service for the inpatient HIV and Infectious Diseases service - MED ID.
Dr. Patel is actively involved in medical education and serves as the Associate Program Director for the ID fellowship program at UMMC. Dr. Patel is the Course Director for the Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases course at UMSOM and also oversees medical student and resident electives in infectious diseases.
Medical education, HIV, Infectious Diseases, Global Health, ICU infections
- Patel DM, Moyo C, Bositis CM. A Review of the 2010 WHO Adult Antiretroviral Therapy Guidelines: Implications and Realities of These Changes for Zambia. Medical Journal of Zambia, Vol. 37. No. 2 (2010) 118-124.
- Bositis CM, Gashongore I, Patel DM. Updates to the World Health Organization's Recommendations for the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating Pregnant Women and Preventing HIV Infection in Infants. Medical Journal of Zambia, Vol. 37. No. 2 (2010) 111-117.
- Gilliam B*, Patel D*, Talwani R, Temesgen Z. HIV in Africa: Challenges and Directions for the Next Decade. Curr Infect Dis Rep (2012) 14:91–101Jul; 96:148-150.
- Patel DM and Heath J. A 58-year-old man with a cough and fever. Am J Med Sci. 2013 Feb; 345(2):150-3.
- Patel DM* and Riedel DJ*. Fever in Immunocompromised Hosts. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2013 Nov; 31(4):1059-71.
- Sowah LA, Turenne FV, Buchwald U, Delva G, Mesidor RN, Dessaigne CG, Previl H, Patel D, Edozien A, Redfield RR, Amoroso A. Influence of transportation cost on long-term retention in clinic for HIV patients in rural Haiti. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, Aug 26, 2014.
- Alexander CS, Pappas G, Amoroso A, Lee MC, Brown-Henley Y, Memiah P, O’Neill JF, Dix O, Redfield RR, Delva G, Edozien A, Hachaambwa L, Maro P, Nwandu A, Nwizu C, Obiefune M, Oni B, Patel D, Sheneberger R, Baribwira C, Kiromera A, Tepper V, Oyebola FO, Kaiza-Kangalawe A, Anthony Loy G, Enejoh V, Nwene E, Stanis-Ezeobi W, Shimabale M, Gashongore I, Etienne-Mesubi M. Implementation of HIV Palliative Care: Interprofessional Education to Improve Patient Outcomes in Resource-Constrained Settings, 2004-2012. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015 Sep: 50(3):350-61.
- Ryscavage P, Macharia T, Patel D, Palmeiro R, Tepper V. Linkage to and retention in care following healthcare transition from pediatric to adult HIV care. AIDS Care. 2016 May;28(5)561-5.
- Papali A, Verceles AC, Augustin ME, Colas LN, Jean-Francois CH, Patel DM, Todd NW, McCurdy MT, West TE; Haiti REsource Limited Intensive Care (Haiti-RELIC) Study Group. Sepsis in Haiti: Prevalence, treatment, and outcomes in a Port-au-Prince referral hospital. J Crit Care. 2016 Oct 19;38:35-40.
- Claassen CW, Hachaambwa L, Phiri D, Watson DC, Patel D, Bositis CM, Bositis A, Mubangizi D, Redfield R, Mwaba P, Sheneberger R. The Arc of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Capacity Development: Insights from a Decade of Partnership for Medical Education in Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Feb 6. pii: 16-0666. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0666.
2010 Faculty Teaching Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
2011 Faculty Teaching Award, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases
2012-2013 Teaching Commendation, Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine Class of 2015
2013-2014 Teaching Commendation, Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine Class of 2016
2014-2015 Teaching Commendation, Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine Class of 2017
2015-2016 Teaching Commendation, Host Defenses and Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland School of Medicine Class of 2018
2015 AMSA Golden Apple Teaching Award from the UMSOM Class of 2015
2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
2018 SNMA Outstanding Faculty Award
2018 Walter J. McDonal Award for Early Career Physicians, American College of Physicians
U2G GH000099-01 9/30/11-9/29/16 DHHS/CDC
Institutional Strengthening to Improve Quality of Health Care Services in Haiti Through Well Trained Health Care Professionals - Haitian Alliance for Institutional Strengthening (HPRI)
This grant is in partnership with the University of Notre Dame, Haiti, in response to requests from the Haitian MOH and aims to train physicians in infectious diseases through didactic lectures and hospital clinical training.
U2G GH000181-02 Francois (PI) 03/01/2012-09/29/2016 CDC
Strengthening HIV Clinical Care and Treatment through Faith Based Hospitals (SIDALE)
Thegoal of this project is to build the capacity of CMMB to effectively manage the laboratory program within the SIDALE network.
U51HA02521 3/01/2004-2/28/2013 HRSA/ Catholic Relief Services
Rapid Expansion of Antiretroviral Therapy Programs (PEPFAR) Subcontract - ART-2009-5055
The President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) strived to increase the capacity of the health care systems in 10 African and Caribbean nations in diagnosing, treating, and providing end of life care for HIV positive and AIDS inflicted patients.