Education and Training
- The University of Texas at Austin, BA, Biochemistry
Texas A&M College of Medicine, MD
St. Vincent's Hospital - Manhattan, Intern, Internal Medicine
Barrow Neurological Institute at Saint Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Resident, Neurology
Barrow Neurological Institute at Saint Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Chief Resident, Neurology
Columbia University Medical Center / Weill Cornell Medical Center, Clinical Fellow, Neurocritical Care/Vascular Neurology
National Institutes of Heatlh, NINDS Research Fellow, Neuroimaging
My career has been focused on merging principles of clinical neurology and critical care medicine. My research focus is to identify neuroimaging biomarkers during the resuscitation phase of patients with acute brain injuries that are determinants of lesion repair, restoration of function, and recovery of consciousness. This has led to both in vivo & ex vivo investigations characterizing the MRI signature of primary microvascular injury after head trauma and other acute brain injuries.
MRI, Neuroimaging, Traumatic Brain Injury, Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Intracerebral Hemorrhage, Inflammation, Translational Neuroscience, Multimodality Monitoring
- Revisiting Grade 3 Diffuse Axonal Injury: Not All Brainstem Microbleeds are Prognostically Equal. Izzy S, Mazwi NL, Martinez S, Spencer CA, Klein JP, Parikh G, Glenn MB, Greenberg SM, Greer DM, Wu O, Edlow BL. Neurocritical Care. 2017 May 5:1-9.
- A Window into the White Matter Response to Primary Microvascular Injury - 2D Histological Analysis of Acute Traumatic Microbleeds. Parikh G, Griffin A, Moses A, Edwards N, Cota M, Nair G, Turtzo C, Reich D, Armstrong R, Ray-Chaudury A, Perl D. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2016 Jul;33(13):A60-A60.
- Traumatic Vascular Injury-MRI-Targeted Pathological Evidence for a Lost TBI Phenotype. Parikh GY, Nair G, Reich DS, Perl DP, Latour LL. Annals of Neurology. 2014 Oct;76:S127-S127.
- Evidence of primary vascular injury after acute head trauma in the Traumatic Head Injury Neuroimaging Classification (THINC) Study. Parikh G, Ray-Chaudhury A, Latour L. Neurology. 2013 May;80(19):E205-E205.
Additional Publication Citations
- High Compliance with Scheduled Nimodipine Is Associated with Better Outcome in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Patients Cotreated with Heparin Infusion. Wessell, A, Kole, MJ, Badjatia, N, Parikh, G, Albrecht, JS, Schreibman, DL, & Simard, JM. Frontiers in Neurology, 2017;8, 268.
- Novel Treatments in Neuroprotection for Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. James RF, Kramer DR, Aljuboori ZS, Parikh G, Adams SW, Eaton JC, Abou Al-Shaar H, Badjatia N, Mack WJ, Simard JM. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2016 Aug;18(8):38.
- Cerebral microbleeds in patients with acute subarachnoid hemorrhage. Jeon SB, Parikh G, Choi HA, Badjatia N, Lee K, Schmidt JM, Lantigua H, Connolly ES, Mayer SA, Claassen J. Neurosurgery. 2014 Feb;74(2):176-81.
- Acute cerebral microbleeds in refractory status epilepticus. Jeon SB, Parikh G, Choi HA, Lee K, Lee JH, Schmidt JM, Badjatia N, Mayer SA, Claassen J. Epilepsia. 2013 May;54(5):e66-8.
- Rhythmical and periodic EEG patterns do not predict short-term outcome in critically ill patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Crepeau AZ, Kerrigan JF, Gerber P, Parikh G, Jahnke H, Nakaji P, Little A, Chapman KE. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2013 Jun 1;30(3):247-54.
- Multimodality monitoring for cerebral perfusion pressure optimization in comatose patients with intracerebral hemorrhage. Ko SB, Choi HA, Parikh G, Helbok R, Schmidt JM, Lee K, Badjatia N, Claassen J, Connolly ES, Mayer SA. Stroke. 2011 Nov;42(11):3087-92.
I aim to become an independent investigator focusing on the pathobiology of TBI through the use of advanced MRI methods that can be translated to the care of critically-ill patients and used as outcome measures in clinical trials of new drugs and rehabilitation-based strategies to treat aspects of TBI—such as demyelination and neurodegeneration—for which there is currently no therapy.
Awards and Affiliations
Member, American Academy of Neurology
Member, Neurocritical Care Society
Member, National Neurotrauma Society