Education and Training
Dr. Outeda Garcia graduated in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology from University of Santiago de Compostela in Spain. She obtained her Master degree in Endocrinology and PhD degree in the department of Medicine, School of Medicine with Professor Xose M. Lens from University of Santiago de Compostela. Her research was focused on the genetics of renal diseases.
Dr. Outeda Garcia completed her post-doctoral training with Dr. Terry Watnick at the Johns Hopkins University and University of Maryland School of Medicine. She joined the faculty at the University of Maryland in 2016.
- S Kim, H Nie, V Nesin, U Tran, P Outeda, C Bai, J Keeling, D Maskey, T Watnick, O Wessely, and L Tsiokas. The Polycystin complex mediates WNT/Ca2+ signaling. Nature Cell Biology. 2016 Jul;18(7):752-64
- Cebotaru L, Liu Q, Yanda M, Boinot C, Outeda P, Huso DL, Watnick T, Guggino W, Cebotaru V. Inhibition of histone deacetylase 6 activity reduces cyst growth in polycystic kidney disease. Kidney International. 2016 Jul;90(1):90-9
- H Kim, H Xu, Q Yao, W Li, Q Huang, P Outeda, V Cebotaru, M Chiaravalli, A Boletta, K Piontek, GG Germino, EJ Weinman, T Watnick, F Qian. Ciliary membrane proteins traffic through the Golgi via a Rabep1/GGA1/Arl3-dependent mechanism. Nature Communications. 2014 Nov 18;5:5482
- Outeda P, Huso DL, Fisher SA, Halushka MK, Kim H, Qian F, Germino GG, Watnick T. Polycystin signaling is required for directed endothelial cell migration and lymphatic development. Cell Reports. 2014 May 8;7(3):634-44. *NOTE: Article commented in the Journal Club section, Kidney International (2014) 86, 3–4; doi:10.1038/ki.2014.211
- M Garcia-Gonzalez*, P. Outeda*, Q Zhou, F Zhou, L Menezes, F Qian, DL Huso, G Germino, KB Piontek, and T Watnick. Pkd1 and Pkd2 are required for normal placental development. PLoS One. 2010 Sep 16;5(9). pii: e12821. (*Co-first authors)
- Kaisaki PJ, Bergmann C, Brown JH, Outeda P, Lens XM, Peters DJ, Gretz N, Gauguier D, Bihoreau MT. (2008). Genomic organization and mutation screening of the human ortholog of Pkdr1 associated with polycystic kidney disease in the rat. Eur J Med Genet. 51(4):325-31
- Lens XM, Banet JF, Outeda P, Barrio-Lucía V. A novel pattern of mutation in uromodulin disorders: autosomal dominant medullary cystic kidney disease type 2, familial juvenile hyperuricemic nephropathy, and autosomal dominant glomerulocystic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005 Jul;46(1):52-7