Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science, Biology with minor chemistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Alabama School of Medicine
Post-Graduate Education and Training
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Fellowship, Hematology and Medical Oncology, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida
Dr. Niyongere joined the University of Maryland School of Medicine and Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center as an Assistant Professor in 2018. Her clinical focus is in adult leukemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (CMML), myelodysplastic syndrome, myeloproliferative neoplasms, and bone marrow failure disorders. Her research interest is focused on understanding oncogenic signaling pathways involved in the development of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia with the goal of finding new therapeutic targets in the laboratory. She has been involved in several clinical trials and has served as the local principal investigator for several industry-sponsored clinical trials. In addition to clinical and research activities, Dr. Niyongere regularly serves as an attending physician on the inpatient leukemia service training fellows, internal medicine residents, and medical students.
- Emadi A, Kapadia B, Bollino D, Bhandary B, Baer MR, Niyongere S, Strovel ET, Kaizer H, Chang E, Choi EY, Ma X, Tighe KM, Carter-Cooper B, Moses BS, Civin CI, Mahurkar A, Shetty AC, Gartenhaus RB, Kamangar F, Lapidus RG. Venetoclax and pegcrisantaspase for complex karyotype acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2020 Nov 16.
- Niyongere S, Sanchez-Petitto G, Masur J, Baer MR, Duong VH, Emadi A. Frontline Blinatumomab in Older Adults with Philadelphia Chromosome-Negative B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2020 Jun 16;13(6):124.
- Lucas N, Duchmann M, Rameau P, Noël F, Michea P, Saada V, Kosmider O, Pierron G, Fernandez-Zapico ME, Howard MT, King RL, Niyongere S, Diop MK, Fenaux P, Itzykson R, Willekens C, Ribrag V, Fontenay M, Padron E, Soumelis V, Droin N, Patnaik MM, Solary E. Biology and prognostic impact of clonal plasmacytoid dendritic cells in chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. 2019 Mar 20.
- Niyongere S, Lucas N, Zhou JM, Sansil S, Pomicter AD, Balasis ME, Robinson J, Kroeger J, Zhang Q, Zhao YL, Ball M, Komrokji R, List A, Deininger MW, Fridley BL, Santini V, Solary E, Padron E. Heterogenous expression of cytokines accounts for clinical diversity and refines prognostication in CMML. Leukemia. 2018 Jul 19.
- Niyongere S, Saltos A, Gray JE. Immunotherapy combination strategies (non-chemotherapy) in non-small cell lung cancer. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2018 Feb;10(Suppl 3):S433-S450
- Yoshimi A, Balasis ME, Vedder A, Feldman K, Ma Y, Zhang H, Lee SC, Letson C, Niyongere S, Lu SX, Ball M, Taylor J, Zhang Q, Zhao Y, Youssef S, Chung YR, Zhang XJ, Durham BH, Yang W, List AF, Loh ML, Klimek V, Berger MF, Stieglitz E, Padron E, Abdel-Wahab O. Robust patient-derived xenografts of MDS/MPN overlap syndromes capture the unique. Blood. 2017 Jun 2.
- Niyongere S, Altman JK. Identifying novel genes in chronic myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Feb 24.