Designated Institutional Official, Maryland Midtown Campus
827 Linden Avenue Second Floor
Education and Training
1999: B.A., History, Loyola College (Magna cum Laude) Baltimore, Maryland
2003: M.D., University of Maryland School of Medicine Baltimore, Maryland
2003-2006: Residency, Emory University School of Medicine, J. Willis Hurst Internal Medicine Residency Program
2006-2009: Fellowship, Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, National Institutes of Health NIDDK-NICHD Inter-Institute Endocrine Training Program
Dr. Malek joined the University of Medicine School of Medicine in 2011. She is actively involved in medical education. She is the Program Director of the Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Fellowship.
Dr. Malek sees patients at the University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology at the Midtown campus. Dr. Malek has extensive experience managing patients with both type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus. She uses continuous glucose monitors and insulin pumps to manage complicated diabetes cases. She works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to improve the care of all her patients with diabetes. She has both clinical and research experience managing patients with extreme insulin resistance.
In her endocrine practice, Dr. Malek has a clinical interest in thyroid cancer and women's metabolic health, with a focus on management pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
New patients can call 443-682-6800 to schedule appointments.
1. Malek R, Chong AY, Lupsa BC, Lungu AO, Cochran EK, Soos MA, Semple RK, Balow JE, Gorden P. Treatment of type B insulin resistance: A novel approach to reduce insulin receptor auto-antibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95(8) 3641-3647.
2. Malek R, Davis SN. Pharmacokinetics, efficacy, and safety of glyburide for treatment of gestational diabetes. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2016 May 23:1-9.
3. Poola-Kella S, Steinman RA, Mesmar B, Malek R. Gestational diabetes mellitus: post-partum risk and follow-up. Rev Recent Clin Trials. 2017, 12, 1-11
4. Mesmar B, Poola-Kella S, Malek R. The physiology behind diabetes mellitus in patients with pheochromocytoma: a review of the literature. Endocr Pract. 2017 Aug; 23(8):999-1005.
5. Memon R, Malek R, Munir KM. Doubling of hemoglobin A1c on PCSK 9 inhibitor therapy. J. Med 2018 Am J Med. 2018 Sep 7.
6. Brooks L, Kalyanaraman N, Malek R. Diabetes Care for Patients Experiencing Homelessness: Beyond Metformin and Sulfonylureas. Am J Med. 2018 Nov 23.
- Malek, R and Frayha N. Gestational Diabetes. Primary Care Reviews and Perspectives. Hippo Education. September 2018.
- Malek R and Fray N. How to Order Diabetes Supplies. Primary Care Reviews and Perspectives. Hippo Education. September 2018.