Combined Emergency, Internal Medicine, Critical Care Assistant Program Director
Education and Training
Critical care, Ultrasound, Medical Education
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Calvello EJ, Hu K, Khoujah D. Management of the hyperthermic patient. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2011 Oct; 72(10):571-5.
2. Mehta CK, Hu KM, Nable JV, Brady WJ. Expanding the role of percutaneous coronary intervention in patients resuscitated from cardiac arrest. Am J Emerg Med. 2013;31(6):974-7. Researched and wrote portion of review.
3. Allison MG, Scott MC, Hu KM, Witting MD, Winters ME. High initial tidal volumes in emergency department patients at risk for acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Crit Care. 2015;30(2):341-3. Assisted in writing the grant application, performing data collection/calculations, and writing/creating the final paper/poster.
4. Allison MG, Scott MC, Hu KM, Witting MD, Winters ME. Response to: Do initial tidal volumes impact acute respiratory distress syndrome development in patients intubated in the emergency department? J Crit Care. 2015;30(2):423-4.
Non-peer-reviewed Journal Articles
1. Allison M, Scott M, Hu KM, Bostick D, Boutsikaris D, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: An update on airway management in emergency medicine. Common Sense. Nov/Dec 2012: 19(6);30-34.
2. Hu KM, Allison M, Scott M, Magidson P, Wacker D, Bostick D, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: Procedural sedation. Common Sense. Mar/Apr 2013: 20(2);41-43.
3. Wacker D, Hu KM, Magidson P, Bostick D, Allison M, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: Updates in emergency room management of trauma patients. Common Sense. Jul/Aug 2013: 20(4);41-4.
4. Wacker D, Hu KM, Magidson P, Sorenson C, Scott M, Bostick D, Allison M, Ogunbodede A, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: Updates in emergency department management of soft tissue infections. Common Sense. Nov/Dec 2013: 20(6);53-5.
5. Allison M, Hu KM, Bostick D, Magidson P, Scott M. Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: Mechanical ventilation in the emergency department. Common Sense. Mar/April 2014: 21(2);41-3.
6. Sorenson C, Bostick D, Boutsikaris D, Christopher N, Hu KM, Magidson P, Ogunbodede A, Santavicca N, Scott M, Wacker D, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: What is the evidence for therapeutic hypothermia? Common Sense. Jul/Aug 2014: 21(4);37-40.
7. Magidson P, Bostick D, Hu KM, Sorenson C, Wacker D, Bond MC, Khadpe J. Resident Journal Review: Updates in prehospital emergency medical service care. Common Sense. Nov/Dec 2014: 21(6);40-2.
8. Bostick D, Magidson, Soreson C, Christopher N, Hu KM, Wacker D, Bond MC, Khadppe J. Resident Journal Review: Literatures updates in pneumonia. Common Sense. Mar/Apr 2015: 22(2);38-9.
1. Hu KM, Mattu A. Syncope. Observation Medicine: The Healthcare System’s Tincture of Time. Graff LG. Online textbook: http://www.acep.org/Clinical_Practice_Management/Observation_Medicine/
2. Boutsikaris D, Hu KM. Therapeutic Hypothermia. PressorDex. Edited by Greenwood JC, Emlet LL, Mallemat HA, Winters ME. 2012. Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association, Irving, TX.
3. Hu KM, Boutsikaris D. Therapeutic Hypothermia. PressorDex. Edited by Greenwood JC, Emlet LL, Mallemat HA, Winters ME. 2014. Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association. Irving, TX.
4. Hu KM, Mattu A. Stress Testing. Observation Medicine: Principles & Protocols. Edited by Mace S. 2017. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, UK.
5. Hu KM, Martinez J. Avoid Relying on the Presence of SIRS to Diagnose Sepsis. Avoiding Common Errors in the Emergency Department, 2nd ed. 2017. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Philadelphia, PA.
6. Hu KM. Respiratory Illness. In-Flight Emergencies—a Practical Guide to Preparedness. Edited by Brady W, Nable JV. 2017. Springer: Springer Science+Business Media. In Press.
7. Hu KM, McCurdy MT. Vascular Emergencies. Emergency Critical Care. Edited by Shiber J. 2017. Springer: Springer Science+Business Media. In Press.
8. Cobb M, Hu KM. Targeted Temperature Management. PressorDex. Edited by Greenwood JK, Emlet LL, Mallemat HA, Winters ME. 2017. Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association. Irving, TX. In Press.
1. Hu KM. An interesting presentation of allergic fungal sinusitis. 2011. Maryland ACP Associates' Meeting. Baltimore, MD, May 2011. Awarded 1st place in the clinical vignette competition.
2. Allison M, Scott M, Hu KM, Witting M, Winters M. Recommended Tidal Volumes are Not Commonly Started in Emergency Department Patients Developing ARDS. 2012. Presented at the 2013 SAEM Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA.
3. Hu KM, Witting MD, Westreich AA, Farzad A, Tewelde SZ, Mattu A. Distinguishing pericarditis from MI in ST elevation: Validity of Spodick’s sign. 2015. UMEM Annual Research Symposium. Baltimore, MD.
4. Hu KM. Levamisole toxicity. 2015. AAEM Annual Meeting. Austin, TX.
5. Hu KM. A case of levamisole, leukopenia, and leukocytoclastic vasculitis. 2015. Maryland ACP Associates’ Meeting. Baltimore, MD.
1. “Managing the Critically Ill Obstetric Patient” – EMCAST, December 2016. http://www.emedhome.com/cme_emcast.cfm
2. “Blood Cultures in the Emergency Department” – EMCAST. March 2017. http://www.emedhome.com/cme_emcast.cfm
Critical Care Medicine
Alpha Omega Alpha