Research Subject Advocate, General Clinical Research Center
11 S Paca St., Ste, 200
Education and Training
- Rice University, Houston, TX: BA – Biochemistry, 1998
- Texas A&M University College of Medicine: MD, 2002
- University of Colorado, Colorado School of Public Health: MSPH, 2009
- The University of Chicago Hospitals, Residency in Internal Medicine, 2002
- The University of Colorado-Denver, Fellowship in Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, 2008
- The University of Colorado-Denver, Residency in Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 2009
Dr. Hines is board-certified in Occupational Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, and Internal Medicine. She is a member of the American Thoracic Society, the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and the International Society for Respiratory Protection.
Her research interests include respiratory protection and pulmonary function and symptom analysis in occupational exposure groups. She has participated in medical surveillance and studies of workers exposed to depleted uranium and other military-relevant sources, epoxy resins, artificial flavoring ingredients, construction workers, coal and hard rock miners and workers exposed to beryllium. She has made invited presentations at local and international conferences.
Dr. Hines serves as the Associate National Medical Director of the Building Trades Medical Screening Program. This Department of Energy (DOE)-sponsored program provides medical surveillance for over 18,000 former DOE workers from the construction trades. She also directs the Baltimore VA site of the Airborne Hazards Center of Excellence Post-Deployment Cardiopulmonary Evaluation Network. She teaches pre-clinical coursework within the School of Medicine and precepts students, residents and fellows in her outpatient and inpatient practices.
occupational lung disease, military exposures, respiratory protection, construction worker, lung cancer screening, pulmonary function, spirometry, exposure-related disease
Hines, SE, Barnes, AH, Brown, C, Gucer, P, Oliver, MS, Gaitens, JM, Condon, M, McDiarmid, M. Impulse Oscillometry Measurement of Distal Airways Obstruction in Depleted Uranium Exposed Gulf War Veterans. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 2018:61:308-316.
Hines, SE, Brown, C, Oliver, M, Gucer, P, Frisch, M, Hogan, R, Roth, T, Chang, J, McDiarmid, M. User acceptance of reusable respirators in healthcare. American Journal of Infection Control. 2019:47:648-655.
Hines, SE, Brown, C, Oliver, M, Gucer, P, Frisch, M, Hogan, R, Roth, T, Chang, J, McDiarmid, M. Storage and Availability of Elastomeric Respirators in Healthcare. Health Security. 2019:17:384-392.
Hines, SE, Brown, C, Oliver, M, Gucer, P, Frisch, M, Hogan, R, Roth, T, Chang, J, McDiarmid, M. Cleaning and Disinfection Perceptions and Use Practices Among Elastomeric Respirator Users in Healthcare. Workplace Health and Safety, 2020:68(12):572-582.
Glick, DR, Brown, CH, Li, L, Weiler-Lisowski, B, Gaitens, JM, McDiarmid, M, Hines, SE. Longitudinal Evaluation of Lung Function in Gulf War I Veterans Exposed to Depleted Uranium. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2020:62:1059-1062.
Dement J, Cloeren M, Ringen K, Quinn, P, Chen A, Cranford K, Haas S, Hines SE. COPD Risk among Older Construction Workers – Updated Analyses 2020. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. 2021; Mar 16; doi: 10.1002/ajim.23244.
See all Dr. Hines's publications on PubMed.
See Dr. Hines's profile on ResearchGate.
- Selected to Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society, 2002
- Inducted into Delta Omega National Honorary Society in Public Health, 2013
- Golden Apple Award for Best Pre-clinical Faculty as selected by the graduating Class of 2017, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Recognized as a “Top Doc” by Baltimore Magazine, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020
- Recipient of the Faculty Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Medicine, Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2014, 2015, 2017
- Elected to Nominating Committee, American Thoracic Society, Section on Terrorism and Inhalational Disasters, 2020
- Educational committee member, International Society for Respiratory Protection, Americas Section
Exploring respirator options for protecting health workers from COVID-19
CIDRAP - May 15, 2021
How to avoid buying counterfeit N95 masks
USA Today - February 9, 2021
FOX45 News - February 12, 2021