Clinical Associate Professor
Medical Director and Chief Scientific Officer CVPath Institute Inc.
110 South Paca St., 7th floor
Education and Training
1994 B.A. (Political Science), Cum Laude, Kenyon College
2000 M.D. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Post Graduate Education and Training:
07/00-06/01 Intern in Medicine, Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Hasan Bazari MD, PhD
07/01-06/02 Resident in Medicine, Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Hasan Bazari MD, PhD
07/02-06/04 Clinical Fellow in Cardiology, Cardiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Peter Yurchak, MD
07/04-06/05 Fellow in Interventional Cardiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Igor Palacios MD
07/05-06/07 Research Fellow in Cardiology, Cardiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Ken Bloch, MD
2002 ABIM Internal Medicine
2007/2015 ABIM Cardiovascular Disease
2008/2016 ABIM Interventional Cardiology
Dr. Finn is an interventional cardiologist and internationally recognized expert in the field of vascular biology and vascular device research. He currently serves as Medical Director and Chief of Research of CVPath and is head of the Institute’s basic and translational research laboratory. He is also an Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland, where he serves (part-time) as a cardiologist and interventional cardiologist.
He has published over 200 peer-reviewed research articles, editorials, and reviews. He is an editorial board member of of Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, and PLOS One.
His research interests are in the area of vascular biology, particularly human vascular disease. He has focused in particular on 1) the molecular mechanisms by which mTOR inhibitors delay endothelial recovery and function after vascular injury; 2) the role of alternative macrophage phenotypes in human atherosclerosis; 3) preclinical research in drug delivery as it relates to both drug-eluting stents and balloons; and mechanisms of injury of COVID-19 on the heart.
Curently he hold grants from the Leduqc Foundation and the National Institues of Health (RECOVER Initiative).
He obtained his MD from Vanderbilt University in 2000. During medical school, he received a Howard Hughes Medical Student Research Fellowship and studied vascular gene therapy under David Dichek at the University of California at San Francisco. Dr. Finn did his internal medicine, cardiology and interventional cardiology training at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, including two years of vascular biology research with Drs. Herman Gold and Rakesh Jain.
Atherosclerosis, macrophages, drug-eluting stents, peripheral arterial disease, valvular heart disease
1. Guo L, Akahori H, Harari E, Smith SL, Polavarapu R, Karmali V, Otsuka F, Gannon RL, Braumann RE, Dickinson MH, Gupta A, Jenkins AL, Lipinski MJ, Kim J, Chhour P, de Vries PS, Jinnouchi H, Kutys R, Mori H, Kutyna MD, Torii S, Sakamoto A, Choi CU, Cheng Q, Grove ML, Sawan MA, Zhang Y, Cao Y, Kolodgie FD, Cormode DP, Arking DE, Boerwinkle E, Morrison AC, Erdmann J, Sotoodehnia N, Virmani R, Finn AV. CD163+ Macrophages Promote Angiogenesis, Vascular Permeability, and Inflammation in Atherosclerosis. Journal of Clinical Investigation.2018 Mar 1;128(3):1106-1124.1.
2. Akahori H, Karmali V, Polavarapu R, Lyle A, Weiss D, Shin E, Husain A, Naqvi N, Van Dam R, Habib A, Choi CU, King AL, Pachua K, Taylor WR, Lefer D, Finn AV. CD163 TWEAK Interaction Regulates Tissue Regeneration After Ischemic Injury. Nat Comm. 2015. Aug 5;6:7792. PMID:26242746.
3. Finn AV, Virmani R. The Clinical Challenge of Disappearing Stents. The Lancet. 2016 Feb 6;387:501-512. PMID: 26597772.
4. Mori H, Finn AV, Atkinson JB, Lutter C, Narula J, Virmani R. Calcified Nodule:
An Early and Late Cause of In-Stent Failure. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Jun 6.
5. Harari E, Guo L, Smith SL, Paek KH, Fernandez R, Sakamoto A, Mori H, Kutyna
MD, Habib A, Torii S, Cornelissen A, Jinnouchi H, Gupta A, Kolodgie FD, Virmani
R, Finn AV. Direct Targeting of the mTOR (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin) Kinase
Improves Endothelial Permeability in Drug-Eluting Stents-Brief Report.
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2018 Sep;38(9):2217-2224. PMID: 30026269.
5. Jaber WA, Finn AV. Intrastent Tissue Prolapse and Late Cardiac Events:
Innocent Bystander or Culprit? JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Jul 25;9(14):1508-9.
6. Koppara T, Sakakura K, Pacheco E, Cheng Q, Zhao X, Acampado E, Finn AV, Barakat M, Maillard L, Ren J, Deshpande M, Kolodgie FD, Joner M, Virmani R.
Preclinical evaluation of a novel polyphosphazene surface modified stent. Int J
Cardiol. 2016 Nov 1;222:217-25. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.07.181. Epub 2016 Jul
7. PMID: 27497098.
7. Finn AV, Virmani R. Biodegradable polymer drug-eluting stents:
non-inferiority waiting for superiority? Lancet. 2016 Nov 26;388(10060):2567-2568. PMID: 27806901.
8. Lutter C, Mori H, Yahagi K, Ladich E, Joner M, Kutys R, Fowler D, Romero M, Narula J, Virmani R, Finn AV. Histopathological Differential Diagnosis of Optical
Coherence Tomographic Image Interpretation After Stenting. JACC Cardiovasc
Interv. 2016 Dec 26;9(24):2511-2523. PMID: 27889345.
9. Mori H, Kutys R, Romero M, Virmani R, Finn AV. Stenting of Spontaneous
Coronary Artery Dissection From a Pathological Point of View. Circ Cardiovasc
Interv. 2016 Dec;9(12). PMID: 27895071.
10. Yahagi K, Kolodgie FD, Lutter C, Mori H, Romero ME, Finn AV, Virmani R.
Pathology of Human Coronary and Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis and Vascular
Calcification in Diabetes Mellitus. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017
Feb;37(2):191-204. Review. PMID: 27908890; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5269516.
11. Mori H, Lutter C, Yahagi K, Harari E, Kutys R, Fowler DR, Ladich E, Joner M,
Virmani R, Finn AV. Pathology of Chronic Total Occlusion in Bare-Metal Versus
Drug-Eluting Stents: Implications for Revascularization. JACC Cardiovasc Interv.
2017 Feb 27;10(4):367-378. PMID: 28161258.
12. Mori H, Harari E, Torii S, Virmani R, Finn AV. Evaluating the utility of
markers of thromboxane activity and oxidative stress in cardiovascular risk
prediction. Coron Artery Dis. 2017 Jun;28(4):275-277. PMID: 28225389.
13. Guo L, Harari E, Virmani R, Finn AV. Linking Hemorrhage, Angiogenesis,
Macrophages, and Iron Metabolism in Atherosclerotic Vascular Diseases.
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Apr;37(4):e33-e39. PMID: 28330947.
14. Mori H, Kutys R, Romero M, Virmani R, Finn AV. Metallic Coronary Stents: Is There a Relationship Between Stent Fracture and Hypersensitivity? JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Jun 12;10(11):1175-1177. PMID: 28527770.
15. Yahagi K, Ladich E, Kutys R, Mori H, Svensson LG, Mack MJ, Herrmann HC, Smith CR, Leon MB, Virmani R, Finn AV. Pathology of balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valves. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Jun 1. PMID: 28569053.
1999 Research Training Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Research Institute,
2003-2004 DeSanctis Clinical Scholar, Harvard Medical School,
2006 Thomas Linnemeier Young Investigator Award, Finalist, Columbia University/ Cardiovascular Research Foundation,
2010 Outstanding Scientific Citation (Basic Research-Early Career), Emory Department of Medicine,
2012 Irvine H. Page Award, Finalist, American Heart Association
2013 Member Emory Millipub Club (paper authorship with >1000 citations)
2018/2020 Basic Science Publication of the Year, University of Maryland Department of Medicine
2021 Outstanding Basic Laboratory Investigation Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
06/2019-05/2025 (PI, 10%)
“Novel Roles of Matrix Producing Cells in Atherosclerotic Plaque, Stability and Rupture”
Leducq Transatlantic Networks of Excellence.
10/01/2021-9/31/2025 (PI, 10%)
“Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection Initiative: SARS-CoV-2 Recovery Cohort Studies Finn”
National Institutes of Health-OTA-21-015B
5/1/2022-4/30/2023 (PI: 10%)
“Improving Understanding and Diagnosis of Post-Acute Sequelae of the SARS-CoV-2 Infection (PASC) in the Heart: A Cardiac Magnetic Resonance and Autopsy Study”
National Institutes of Health-OTA-21-015E