Epidemiology & Public Health
Room 124, 660 Redwood Street, Baltimore, MD, 21201
Education and Training
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO (2003)
- M.S., Chemistry, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, (2006) Thesis Advisor – Patrick MacCarthy, “Biocompatibility of Calcium Phosphates Prepared by Self-Propagating, High-Temperature Synthesis”
- M.D. with Distinction in Research, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY, (2011) Thesis Advisor – Hamish Kerr, “A Biomechanical Analysis of Heading in Collegiate Soccer Players"
- M.S., Clincial Research, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD (2016)
- 2009-2010 Clinical Research Training Program, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 2011-2014 Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2014-2016 Fellowship, Clinical Research, Department of Emergency Medicine and the National Study Center for Trauma and EMS Baltimore, MD
- 2017-Present Vice Chair, Research Committee, University of Maryland: Midtown Campus.
- 2017-Present Staff Scientist, Research HARBOR, University of Maryland, Baltimore.
- 2018-Present Deputy Director, Clinical and Translational Research Informatics Center, University of Maryland, Baltimore.
clinical research, emergency medicine, substance abuse, injury
- Dezman ZD, Gorelick DA, Soderstrom CA. Test Characteristics of a Drug CAGE Questionnaire for the Detection of Non-Alcohol Substance Use Disorders in Trauma Inpatients. Injury. 2018 Jun 13.
- Browne BJ, Dezman ZDW, The Burden of the Opioid Crisis on the State of Maryland with a Focus on the Impact of Fentanyl, testimony and report provided to the United States Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism, United States Senate, 4/11/18 (found here and here).
- Browne BJ, Dezman ZDW, The Burden of Fentanyl and Fentanyl Analogues, testimony and report provided to the United States Sentencing Commission, 12/5/2018 (found here).
- Dezman ZDW, Comer AC, Narayan M, Scalea TM, Hirshon JM, Smith GS. Alcohol consumption decreases lactate clearance in acutely injured patients. Injury. 2016 Mar 22.
- Dezman ZDW, Comer AC, Smith GS, Narayan M, Scalea TM, Hirshon JM. Failure to clear elevated lactate predicts 24-hour mortality in trauma patients. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015 Oct 1;79(4):580-5.
- Dezman ZDW, Ledet EH, Kerr HA. Neck strength imbalance correlates with increased head acceleration in soccer heading. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2013 Mar 20.
- 2007 Summer Research Fellowship, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
- 2008 Winner, Poster Competition, National Medicine/Pediatrics Resident Association Conference, Albany, NY
- 2009 Dean's Certificate for External Research Endeavors, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
- 2014 Winner, Clinical Case Competition, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2014 T. David Sisk Award for Most Outstanding Original Research Paper, Sports Health
- 2014 Winner, 13th Annual Resident Research Competition, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2014 Academic Achievement Award, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
- 2016 Best of the Best, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine
- 2016 Prime Time Practice Changers: Highlights of the 2015 Research Forum, Scientific Assembly, American College of Emergency Physicians
- 2018 Gold Standard Award for Outstanding Manuscript Reviews, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine
NIH/NINDS Dezman (PI) 08/26/2015-07/01/2017
Extramural Loan Repayment Award – Clinical Research
Novel Biomarkers Predict Morbidity and Mortality in Traumatic Brain Injury
NIH provides student loan relief for two years provided I maintain 50% or greater commitment towards clinical research projects.
- 2018 Washington Post, Houston Chronicle, and Huffington Post on administering buprenorphine in the emergency department to patients in withrawal (here, here, and here)
- 2018 Fox 45 Morning Interview on testing for synthetic drugs in the emergency department (here)
- 2018 Baltimore Sun on complex drug overdoses seen in the emergency department (here)