Assistant Clerkship Director for Surgical Rotations, Chair of Campus and Community Engagement Committee on UMB Faculty Senate, Council Member on UMB President's Council for Women
22 South Greene Street Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
- 2005-2009 Bachelor of Arts in Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Post-Graduate Education and Training
- 2009-2013 Doctor of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS), Little Rock, AR.
- 2013-2018 Integrated Vascular Surgery Residency, University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC), Seattle, WA.
Dr. Desikan is an Assistant Professor and clinician-scientist in the Division of Vascular Surgery. She sees a variety of patients and performs the breadth of vascular surgery procedures at the University of Maryland Medical Center and the Baltimore VA Medical Center. Her research focuses on the evaluation and treatment of cognitive and mobility deficits in patients with carotid stenosis. In particular, she aims to develop mechanistically-driven, novel interventions to address these declines and preserve functional independence in this patient population.
Apart from her clinical and research commitments, Dr. Desikan is active in education and leadership across the University of Maryland campus. She serves as the Assistant Clerkship Director for Surgical Rotations, the faculty advisor for the Surgery Interest Group (SIG), and a House Mentor in the Mario Garcia-Palmieri (MGP) House for the School of Medicine. One of her primary career interests is developing ways for our healthcare system to positively impact the West Baltimore community. In line with this, she is the Chair for the Campus and Community Engagement Committee on the UMB Faculty Senate.
Carotid artery stenosis, Aortic aneurysms, Dialysis access, Peripheral arterial disease, Venous disease, Vascular trauma
Desikan S, Singh N, Steele SR, Tran N, Quiroga E, Garland BT, Starnes BW. The Incidence of Ischemic Colitis After Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms is Decreasing in The Endovascular Era. Annals of Vascular Surgery, 47: 247-252, 2018.
Garland BT, Danaher P, Desikan S, Tran NT, Quiroga E, Singh N, Starnes BW. Preoperative Risk Score for the Prediction of Mortality Following Repair of Ruptured Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 68(4): 991-997, 2018.
Hemingway J, Adjei E, Desikan S, Gross J, Tran N, Singh N, Starnes B, Quiroga E. Re-evaluating the safety and effectiveness of the 0.9 ankle-brachial index threshold in penetrating lower extremity trauma. Journal of Vascular Surgery, S0741-5214(20)30168-3, 2020.
Hemingway J, Adjei E, Desikan S, Gross J, Tran N, Singh N, Starnes B, Quiroga E. Lowering the Ankle-Brachial Index Threshold in Blunt Lower Extremity Trauma May Prevent Unnecessary Imaging. Annals of Vascular Surgery, 62: 106-113, 2020.
Ali AT, Rueda M, Desikan S, Moursi M, An R, Spencer H, Rueda S, Eidt JF. Outcomes After Retroflexed Gracilis Muscle Flap for Vascular Infections in the Groin. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 64(2): 452-457, 2016.
Zhang J, Khalifeh A, Santini-Dominguez R, Barth RN, Bruno D, Desikan S, Gupta A, Toursavadkohi S. Endovascular Reconstruction of the Hepatic Arterial System for the Management of Mycotic Pseudoaneurysm in a Liver Transplant Patient. Annals of Vascular Surgery, S0890-5096 (19)30556-4, 2019.
- Chair of Campus and Community Engagement, University of Maryland Baltimore Faculty Senate, 2019-present.
- Council Member, University of Maryland Baltimore President’s Council for Women, 2019-present.
- Assistant Clerkship Director, UM Department of Surgery Medical Student Education Committee, 2019-present.
- Faculty advisor, University of Maryland School of Medicine Surgical Interest Group (SIG), 2019-present.
- Faculty advisor for Mario Garcia Palmieri House, University of Maryland School of Medicine House Faculty Advisor, 2019-present.
- Director, University of Maryland Medical Center for Vascular Research Observership, 2018-present.
- Program Evaluation Committee Member (PEC), University of Maryland Medical Center Vascular Fellowship, 2019-present.
- Faculty mentor, University of Maryland Women in Medicine, 2019-present.
- University of Maryland School of Medicine Admissions Committee, 2019-present.
- Edward Forrest Ellis Scholarship Recipient, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 2013.
- Research Principles Medical Student Travel Scholarship, Society for Vascular Surgery, 2012.
- Global Taekwondo Federation World Champion and Official Member of Team USA, 2003, -04, -06.
- World Taekwondo Alliance, World Champion, 2010.
- World Taekwondo Alliance, Team USA Women’s Team Captain, 2010.