Chair, Department of Pediatrics; Director of the University of Maryland Children's Hospital (UMCH)
Education and Training
- Case Western Reserve University, BS, 1975
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, MD, 1979
- Residency, Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Pediatrics, 1982
- Fellowship, Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Gastroenterology, 1985
Dr. Czinn is a nationally known pediatric gastroenterologist recognized for innovative treatments for children with chronic gastric and intestinal disorders. His areas of interest include mucosal immunology, Helicobacter pylori infections and the gut microbiome.
In 2010, Dr. Czinn helped developed guidelines to diagnose and manage food allergies for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. He also has lectured on the unique differences between children and adults with irritable bowel disease. Most recently, he was asked to update the Children’s Digestive Health Foundation’s educational slide set on Pediatric GERD.
From 2009 to 2013, Dr. Czinn was a scientific reviewer for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the area of gastrointestinal mucosal pathobiology studies. He is the lead author or co-author on more than 100 peer-reviewed publications and has served as an associate editor of the American Journal of Gastroenterology since 2003. He currently serves as an associate editor of both the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Pediatric Research.
Mucosal Immunology, H.pylori Infection, Gut Microbiome
Banerjee A, Basu M, Blanchard TG, Chintalacharuvu SR, Guang W, Lillehoj EP, Czinn SJ, Early Molecular Events in Murine Gastric Epithelial Cells Mediated by Helicobacter pylori CagA. Helicobacter 21(5): 395-404, 2016.
Blanchard TG, Czinn SJ. Current Status and Prospects for a Helicobacter pylori Vaccine. Gastroenterol Clin North Am.44(3): 677-89, 2015.
Czinn SJ, Blanchard T. Vaccinating Against Helicobacter Pylori Infection. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 8(3): 133-40, 2011.
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
- Associate Editor, Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Associate Editor, Pediatric Research
- Editorial Board, Infection & Immunity
- Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics & Pathology, 1985-2006