Epidemiology & Public Health
Director of Biostatistics and Data Science, at Maryland Psychiatric Research Center
55 Wade Ave
Education and Training
Ph.D, Biostatistics Emory University, 2012
Master of Science in Public Health, Emory University
Master of Science, Mathematics and Statistics, East Tennessee State University
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China
Dr. Chen is a biostatistician with a research focus on modeling large biomedical data with complex and organized structures (e.g., imaging and omics data). He develops novel machine learning and statistical models for the analysis of imaging and omics data. Dr. Chen also has extensive experience in biostatistical collaborative research including clinical trial design and analysis, environmental health, infectious disease, and cancer research.
Big Data, machine learning, clinical trial design/analysis, network/graph statistics, neuroimaging statistics (MRI, EEG, fMRI, MRS, and DTI data), genomics and proteomics, Bayesian modeling, optimization.
- Chen, S#., Bowman, FD., Xing, Y$., (2019). Detecting and Testing Altered Brain Connectivity Networks with K-partite Network Topology. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, in process.
- Chen, S#., Xing, Y$., Kang, J., Kochunov P., Hong, E.L. (2018). Bayesian Modeling of Dependence in Brain Connectivity Data. Biostatistics, in process.
- Chen, S#., Kang, J., Xing, Y$., Zhao, Y., Milton, D. (2018). Estimating Large Covariance Matrix with Network Topology for High-dimensional Biomedical Data. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, in process.
- Chiappelli J., Chen S., Hackman, A., & Hong, L. E. (2017). Evidence for differential opioid use disorder in schizophrenia in an addiction treatment population. Schizophrenia Research.
- Chen S# , Xing Y$ and Kang J (2017). Latent and Abnormal Functional Connectivity Circuits in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Front. Neurosci. 11:125. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00125
- Chen S#, Bowman F.D., and Mayberg H. (2016). A Bayesian Hierarchical Framework for Modeling Brain Connectivity for Neuroimaging Data, Biometrics, 72. 2. . DOI: 10.1111/biom.12433
- Chen S#, Kang J, Xing Y$, and Wang G$, (2015). A parsimonious statistical method to detect group-wise differentially expressed functional connectivity networks, Human Brain Mapping, 36(12), 5196-5206. DOI: 10.1002/hbm.23007
# the corresponding author;
$ trainees and advisees of Chen
See the full list at https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QFFDsScAAAAJ&hl=en
- Chen, S. #, Bowman, F. D., & Xing, Y$. (2019). Differentially Expressed Functional Connectivity Networks with K-partite Graph Topology. arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.07211. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, in process.
- Chen, S. #, Xing, Y$., Kang, J., Kochunov, P., & Hong, L. E. (2019). Bayesian modeling of dependence in brain connectivity data, In press.
- Chen, S#., Kang, J., Xing, Y$., Zhao, Y., Milton, D. (2018). Estimating large covariance matrix with network topology for high-dimensional biomedical data. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 127, 82-95.
- Chiappelli, J., Rowland, L., Chen, S., Wijtenburg, A., Ryan, M., Chen, H., ... & Hong, E. (2019, April). Mapping of Whole Brain Myoinositol Levels Identifies Prefrontal Reductions In Depression. In SCHIZOPHRENIA BULLETIN(Vol. 45, pp. S311-S312).
- Gold, J. M., Bansal, S., Gaspar, J. M., Chen, S., Robinson, B. M., Hahn, B., & Luck, S. J. (2019). People with schizophrenia show enhanced cognitive costs of maintaining a single item in working memory. Psychological medicine, In press.
- Adhikari, B., Hong, L.E., Sampath, H., Chiappelli, J., Jahanshad, N., Thompson, P.M., Rowland, L.M., Calhoun, V., Du, X., Chen, S. and Kochunov, P., 2019. O32. Functional Network Connectivity Impairments and Core Cognitive Deficits in Schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry, 85(10).
- Bruce H., Kochunov, P. Mitchell, B, Strauss, K, Ament, Rowland, L., Du, X., …Chen, S., .., and Hong, E.L. (2019). Clinical and Genetic Validity of Quantitative Bipolarity Translational Psychiatry. In press
- Kochunov P, Huang, H., Chen S.,. .. Rowland LM, Jahanshad N, Thompson PM, Kelly S, Du X, Adhikari B, Chen S, Paciga SA, Whelan CD, Xie Z, Hyde CL, Chen X, Schubert CR, O’Donnell P, Tan, Y., Hong LE. (2019) White Matter in Schizophrenia Treatment Resistance (2019), The American Journal of Psychiatry, In press
- Shaw, E. P., Rietschel, J. C., Shuggi, I. M., Xing, Y$., Hendershot, B. D., Pruziner, A. L., Chen, S Hartfield, B., Gentili, R. J. (2019). Evaluation of cerebral cortical networking as a measure of cognitive workload during dual-task walking under various levels of challenge. Experimental Brain Research, In press.
- Kim, E., Li, J., Kang, M., Kelly, Chen, S., L., …. Bentley, W. E., & Payne, G. F. (2019). Signal Processing Approach to Probe Chemical Space for Discriminating Redox Signatures. Biosensors and Bioelectronics.
- Wijtenburg, S.A., Kapogiannis, D., Korenic, S.A., Mullins, R.J., Tran, J., Gaston, F.E., Chen, S., Mustapic, M., Hong, L.E. and Rowland, L.M., (2019). Brain insulin resistance and altered brain glucose are related to memory impairments in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research.
- Turpin, R. E., Slopen, N., Chen, S., Boekeloo, B., Dallal, C., & Dyer, T. (2018). Latent class analysis of a syndemic of risk factors on HIV testing among black men. AIDS care, 1-8.
- Shaw, E. P., Rietschel, J. C., Shuggi, I. M., Xing, Y., Hendershot, B. D., Pruziner, A. L., Chen, S & Gentili, R. J. (2018). Evaluation of cerebral cortical networking as a measure of cognitive workload during dual-task walking under various levels of challenge. In Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology(Vol. 40, pp. S65-S65).
- Clark, S. M., Notarangelo, F. M., Li, X., Chen, S., Schwarcz, R., & Tonelli, L. H. (2018). Maternal immune activation in rats blunts brain cytokine and kynurenine pathway responses to a second immune challenge in early adulthood. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry.
- Baratta, A. M., Buck, S. A., Buchla, A. D., Fabian, C. B., Chen, S., Mong, J. A., Pocivavsek, A. (2018). Sex Differences in Hippocampal Memory and Kynurenic Acid Formation Following Acute Sleep Deprivation in Rats. Scientific reports, 8(1), 6963.
- Wijtenburg, S.A., Near, J., Korenic, S.A., Gaston, F.E., Chen, H., Mikkelsen, M., Chen, S., Kochunov, P., Hong, L.E. and Rowland, L.M., 2018. Comparing the reproducibility of commonly used magnetic resonance spectroscopy techniques to quantify cerebral glutathione. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Kang, M., Kim, E., Chen, S., Bentley, W. E., Kelly, D. L., & Payne, G. F. (2018). Signal Processing Approach to Probe Chemical Space for Discriminating Redox Signatures. Biosensors and Bioelectronics.112, 127-135.
- Warren, K., Wehring, H., Liu, F., McMahon, R., Chen S, Chester C, Kelly D;(2018) Effects of Intranasal Oxytocin on Satiety Signaling in People with Schizophrenia Physiology & Behavior,
- Gold J, Robinson B, Leonard C, Hahn B, Chen S, McMahon R, Luck S; (2017) Selective Attention, Working Memory, and Executive Function as Potential Independent Sources of Cognitive Dysfunction in Schizophrenia, Schizophrenia Bulletin, https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx155
- Kochunov P, Coyle TR, Rowland LM, Jahanshad N, Thompson PM, Kelly S, Du X, Adhikari B, Chen S, Paciga SA, Whelan CD, Xie Z, Hyde CL, Chen X, Schubert CR, O’Donnell P, Hong LE. (2017). Association of White Matter With Core Cognitive Deficits in Patients With Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry . doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2228
- Chiappelli J., Chen , Hackman, A., & Hong, L. E. (2017). Evidence for differential opioid use disorder in schizophrenia in an addiction treatment population. Schizophrenia Research.
- Chen S#, Xing Y$ and Kang J (2017). Latent and Abnormal Functional Connectivity Circuits in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Neurosci.11:125. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00125
- Chen S#,Bowman F.D., and Mayberg H. (2016). A Bayesian Hierarchical Framework for Modeling Brain Connectivity for Neuroimaging Data, Biometrics, 72. 2. . DOI: 10.1111/biom.12433
- Chen S#,Kang J, Xing Y$, and Wang G$, (2015). A parsimonious statistical method to detect group-wise differentially expressed functional connectivity networks, Human Brain Mapping, 36(12), 5196-DOI: 10.1002/hbm.23007
- Oh, H., Hatfield, B. D., Jaquess, K. J., Lo, L. C., Tan, Y. Y., Prevost, M. C., Blanco, J. A., Chen S, R Gentili (2015). A composite cognitive workload assessment system in pilots under various task demands using ensemble learning. In International Conference on Augmented Cognition (pp. 91-100). Springer, Cham.
- Chen S#,Kang J, and Wang, G$, (2015). An empirical Bayes normalization method for connectivity metrics in resting state fMRI data, Frontiers in Neuroscience, 9, 316. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2015.00316
- Huang, C., Guo, C., Nichols, C., ChenS, and Martorell R.. (2014) Elevated levels of protein in urine in adulthood after exposure to the Chinese famine of 1959-61 during gestation and the early postnatal period, International Journal of Epidemiology 43(6):1806-14.
- Burke D, Bell RB, Easley KA, Chen S, Samir A, and Burke D., "The effect of body mass index on stroke rehabilitation", Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95 (6), 1055–1059, 2014
- He, X., Lu, X., Chen, S., Hochberg, M. C., and Lee, M.-L. T., "Association between obesity, race and knee osteoarthritis: The Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study", International Journal of Statistics in Medical Research, 3, 224-230, 2014
- Chen S#, Grant E$, Wu T, and Bowman FD, Machine Learning Methods for Longitudinal High Dimensional Data, WIREs Computational Statistics 6(1) 10-18, 2014.
- Raison C, Rutherford R, Woolwine B, Chen S, Schettler P, Drake D, Haroon E, Miller A, A Randomized Controlled Trial of the Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha Antagonist Infliximab in Treatment Resistant Depression: Role of Baseline Inflammation, Archives of General Psychiatry, 70(1):31–41 2013.
- Bowman FD, Derado G, and Chen S, Determining Functional Connectivity using fMRI Data with Diffusion-Based AnatomicalWeighting, NeuroImage, 62, 1769–1779, 2012.
- Bouloux G, Chen S, Easley K, et al. Treatment of Mandibular Fractures in a level I trauma center,Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 70(7) 1613–21, 2012.
- Anderson A, Chane T, Patel P, Chen S, Xue W, Easley K, Warfarin therapy in HIV-infected individuals: data from the medical home model, AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 26(8):454–62, 2012.
- Zhang L, Agravat S, Derado G, Chen S, Bowman FD, BSmac: a MATLAB toolbox Implementing a Bayesian Spatial model for Brain activation and Connectivity Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 204(1), 133-143, 2011.
- Chen S#and Bowman FD, A Novel Support Vector Classifier for Longitudinal High Dimensional Data, Statistical Analysis and Data Mining 4(6) 604–611, 2011.
- Li M, Chen S, Zhang X, Chen H, and Shyr Y,Wave-spec: a preprocessing package for mass spectrometry data, Bioinformatics 27(5): 739-740, 2011.
- Woodham DC, Kenyon N, Bell SC, Alford RA, Chen S, Billheimer D, Shyr Y, Rollins-Smith LA, Adaptations of skin peptide defences and possible response to the amphibian chytrid fungus in popu- lations of Australian green-eyed treefrogs, Litoria genimaculata, Diversity and Distributions V16 (4):703-712, 2010.
- Chen S, Li M, Hong D, Billheimer D, Li H, and Shyr Y, A Novel Comprehensive Wave-form MS data Processing Method, Bioinformatics, 25(6):808-814, 2009.
- Salmon S, Chen H, Chen S, Herbst R, Tsao R, Tran H, Sandler A, Billheimer D, Shyr Y, Lee JW, Massion P, Brahmer J, Schiller J, Carbone D, and Dang T, Classification By Mass Spectrometry Can Accurately And Reliably Predict Outcome In Patients With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Treated With Erlotinib Containing Regimen, Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 4(6):689-696 2009.
- Liu C, Agrawal P, Sarkar R, and Chen S, Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment in Computer Games through Real-Time Anxiety-based Affective Feedback, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Volume 25(6): 506 - 529, 2009.
- Chen S, Hong D, and Shyr Y, Wavelets-based Procedures for Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Data Processing, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 52 211-220, 2007.
- Agulnik M, Cunha-Santos G, Hedley D, Nicklee T, Reis PP, Ho J, Pond GR, Chen H, Chen S, Shyr Y, Winquist E, Soulieres D, Chen EX, Squire JA, Marrano P, Kamel-Reid S, Dancey J, Siu LL, Tsao MS, Predictive and Pharmacodynamic Biomarker Studies in Tumor and Skin Tissue Samples of Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck treated by Erlotinib, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25(16):2184-90, 2007.
- Yildiz P, Shyr Y, Rahman SMJ, Wardwell NR, Zimmerman LJ, Shakhtour B,Gray WH,Li H, Chen S, Moore JH, Liebler DC, Bigbee WL, Siegfried JM, Weissfeld JL, Gonzalez AL, Ninan M, Johnson DH, Carbone DP, Caprioli RM and Massion PP, Diagnostic Accuracy of MALDI Mass Spectrometric Analysis of Unfractionated Serum in Lung Cancer, Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2(10):893-901, 2007.
2019 Avenir Award, National Institute of Health, USA.
2012 Young Investigator Award Competition Travel Award, American Statistical Association, Biometrics Section, JSM 2012.
2011 Statistical Learning and Data Mining Student Paper Competition winner, American Statistical Association, JSM 2011.
2011 Livingston Fellowship.
2011 NIH Biostatistics in Genetics, Immunology, and Neuroimaging (BGIN) Training Program Fellowship, 2011-2012.
Selected trainee/advisee award
2020 Advisor of graduate student Qiong Wu: 2020 Student Paper Competition First Place Winner, The Statistical Methods in Imaging Conference 2020. Title: Predicting Latent Links from Incomplete Network Data Using Exponential Random Graph Model with Outcome Misclassification
2020 Advisor of graduate student Qiong Wu: 2020 Student Paper Competition First Place Winner, American Statistical Association, Statistical Imaging Section, JSM, 2020. Title: Extracting Brain Disease-Related Connectome Subgraphs by Adaptive Dense Subgraph Discovery