Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
701 W. Pratt Street, #515, Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
- Howard University, Washington, D.C. B.S. in Zoology, 1988
- Howard University, Washington, D.C. MD, 1990
- Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA. General Adult Psychiatry Residency.
Dr. Adams is a community psychiatrist who is focused on recovery-oriented, person-centered care for persons with mental illnesses. Since 1998, he has worked at the Carruthers Clinic, a community mental health clinic and on the Programs for Assertive Community Treatment (PACT) team. He also provides educational consultation to the Harbor City Unlimited psychosocial Rehabilitation program.
He served as the Area 3 representative to the Board of the American Association of Community Psychiatrists from 2008 to 2016. He is currently the vice president of the American Association of Community Psychiatrists. He is also an associate editor of the Community Mental Health Journal, the leading publication of the American Association of community Psychiatrists. He is also a member of the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP) and is a member of the Psychiatry and Community Committee of GAP.
Recovery Person-centered care Systems-based practice
- Lisa B. Dixon, MD, MPH, Deborah Medoff, PhD, Richard Goldberg, PhD, Alicia Lucksted, PhD, Julie Kreyenbuhl, PharmD, PhD, Carlo DiClemente, PhD, Wendy Potts, MS, Jaclyn Leith, BS, Clayton Brown, PhD, Curtis Adams, MD, Joseph Afful, MS. “Is Implementation of the 5 A’s of Smoking Cessation at Community Mental Health Centers Effective for Reduction of Smoking by Patients with Serious Mental Illness?” The American Journal on Addictions , 2009, 18: 386–392
- Dixon, L; Medoff, DR, Wohlheiter, K, Diclemente, C, Goldberg, R, Kreyenbuhl, J, Adams, C, Lucksted, A, Davin, C. “correlates of Severity of Smoking Among Persons with Severe Mental Illness.” The American Journal on Addictions 2007; 16:101-110.
- Dixon, L; Adams, C; Lucksted, A. “Update on Family Psychoeducation for Schizophrenia” Schizophrenia Bulletin 2000;26(1):5-20
January 2007- present: member, Committee on Admissions, University of Maryland School of Medicine
June 2005-December, 2007, Board of Trustees, Children’s Scholarship Fund Baltimore.
September 2003-May 2011: member, Board of Trustees, Mc Donogh School
1995-1998 member, Board of Trustees, Mc Donogh School
1993-1995 Big Brother through Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Central Pennsylvania