Hem D. Shukla received his PhD in Biochemistry at R. D. University Jabalpur in India and completed his post-doctoral training from University of Massachusetts. Later, he finished his training in cancer biology from National Institutes of Health and Institute of Cell Engineering at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Shukla is currently working as an active team member in the Division of Translational Radiation Sciences (DTRS, UMB) under the leadership of Dr. Zeljko Vujaskovic MD, PhD. The main focus of his research is radiation induced modulation of immuo-suppressive tumor microenvironment in pancreatic and non-small cell lung cancers. His lab is also interested in cancer immunotherapy, and using targeted therapeutics to inhibit specific pathways mutated in cancers.
Dr. Shukla`s lab is located at the Bressler research building (BRB) of the school of Medicine and is highly focused on translational research employing Photon and Proton-beam radiation (Maryland Proton Treatment Center) using different tumor xenograft models.
Pancreatic cancer, tumor microenvironment, chemo and radiation resistance.
- Mahmood J. Shukla H. D. et al (2020). Combination of radiotherapy, hyperthermia and immunotherapy inhibits unresectable pancreatic tumor progression and prolongs survival of mice. Cancers (submitted)
- Mahmood J., Shukla H. D., Soman S., Samanta S., Singh P., Kamlapurkar S., Saeed A., Amin N. P. and Vujaskovic Z. (2018). Immunotherapy, Radiotherapy, and Hyperthermia: A Combined Therapeutic Approach in Pancreatic Cancer Treatment. Cancers 2018, 10, 469.
- Shukla H.D (2017). Comprehensive Analysis of Cancer-Proteogenome to Identify Biomarkers for the Early Diagnosis and Prognosis of Cancer. Proteomes 2017, 5(4), 28.
- Shukla H.D. (2016). Novel Genomics and Proteomics Based Biomarkers to Predict Radiation Response and Normal Radiotoxicity in Cancer Patients for Personalized Medicine. J Cancer Clin. Trials, 1: 3.
- Mahmood J., Aksinija S., Creed T. M., Pavlovic R., Matsui H., Kimura M., J Molitoris, Shukla H.D., Jackson I. And Z. Vujaskovic (2016). Radiation-induced ED in prostate cancer patients: Recent advances and future directions. Advances in Radiation Oncology, 1: 161-169.
- Mahmood J., Zaveri, S. R., Murti S., Shukla H. D. and Vujaskovic Z. (2016). Caveolin-1: A novel prognostic biomarker of radio-resistance in lung cancer. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 10.1080/09553002.2016.1222096.
- Shukla H. D., Mahmood J. and Vujaskovic Z. (2015) Proteo-genomic approach to early diagnosis and prognosis of cancer. Cancer Letters, 369: 28–36.
- Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2020 - Present
- Research Scientist, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009 - 2019
- Staff Scientist, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, 2006 - 2009
- Research Associate, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, 2002 – 2006
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Massachusetts, MA, 1996 – 2002