Director, VA, MIRECC
Professor, Department of Psychiatry-Division of Psychiatric Services Research Director, VA Capitol Health Care Network (VISN 5)Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC)
737 W. Lombard Street Suite 500 A/B
Education and Training
Dr. Goldberg completed his undergraduate work at Cornell University and received his Ph.D. in clinical/community psychology from the University of Maryland at College Park in 1994.
Dr. Goldberg is a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry-Division of Psychiatric Services Research. He is also Director of the VA Capitol Health Care Network (VISN 5) Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC). The VISN 5 MIRECC is comprised of integrated programs of research, education and clinical training focused on supporting the recovery and community functioning of Veterans living with serious mental illnesses.
His research portfolio includes both VA and NIH funded studies focusing on the development, evaluation and implementation of recovery oriented treatments and services for adults living with serious mental illness.
A licensed psychologist, Dr. Goldberg is also actively involved in psychiatry and psychology training. Since 2007, he has also served as Director of the Hub Site overseeing the multi-site National VA Interprofessional Fellowship Program in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Oriented Services. He is also Director of a VA Psychosocial Rehabilitation Training Program and oversees this national VA initiative to train staff in the delivery of Social Skills Training.
Summary of Key Research Interests: Serious Mental Illness; Services Research; Medical Co-Morbidity; Quality of Care; Behavioral Health Interventions; Implementation Science; Consumer-led Services.
- Lehman, A., Goldberg, R., Dixon, L., McNary S., Postrado, L., Hackman, A., and McDonnell K. (2002) Improving Employment Outcomes for Persons with Severe Mental Illness. Archives of General Psychiatry 59:165-172.
- Goldberg, R., Kreyenbuhl, J., Medoff, D., Dickerson, F., Wohlheiter, K., Fang, L., and Dixon, L. (2007). Quality of diabetes care among adults with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services. 58(4): 536-543.
- Dixon, L., Dickerson, F., Bellack, A., Bennett, M., Dickinson, D., Goldberg, R., Lehman, A., Tenhula W., Calmes, C., Pasillas, R, Peer J, and Kreyenbuhl, J. (2010). The 2009 Schizophrenia PORT psychosocial treatment recommendations and summary statements. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 36(1):48-70.
- Goldberg, R. and Resnick, S. (2010). US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Efforts to Promote Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery. Psychiatry Rehabilitation Journal, 33(4): 255-258.
- Goldberg, R., Dickerson, F., Lucksted, A., Brown, C., Weber, E., Tenhula, W., Kreyenbuhl, J, Dixon, L. (2013). Living Well: An intervention to improve self-management of medical illness for individuals with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 64(1): 51-57
- Goldberg, R., Reeves, G., Tapscott, S., Medoff, D., Dickerson, F., Goldberg, A., Ryan, A., Fang, L., Dixon, L. (2013). “MOVE!”: Outcomes of a weight loss program modified for veterans with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 64(8): 737-744.