Letter from the Program Director
Welcome to the University of Maryland Anesthesiology Residency Program!
It has been a pleasure to have the privilege of leading, training and mentoring the wonderful anesthesiology residents in our program. Within our program, you will get the experience of training in a high acuity setting, experiences at an internationally renowned Level I trauma center (R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center) as well as ambulatory private practice experiences.
We train well-rounded anesthesiologists that are successful in any arena they choose to pursue after graduation. Our graduates are highly competitive and secure positions, either fellowship or faculty positions, prior to graduation. Amidst all our great clinical and academic experiences, we have the convenience of having many luxury apartments and dining areas that are affordable and walkable to the main hospital. The overall experience here at the University of Maryland is superb and supportive.
I look forward to meeting our next class of residents! See you all soon!
Caron M. Hong, MD, MSc
Program Director, Anesthesiology Residency Program
University of Maryland At-A-Glance
- 8 interns
- 38 residents
- 9 fellows
- 97% ABA Basic exam pass rate
- 97% ABA Advanced exam pass rate (Part I)
- 98 faculty members
- 7 practice locations, 3 of which residents rotate through
- 40,880 anesthetics performed annually
- 841 licensed beds
- 11 specialized intensive care units such as critical care resuscitation and lung rescue
- 6,040 patient encounters annually at the Level I R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
- High patient acuity (2.74 Case-Mix Index as provided by CMS.gov)
Academic Services Office
Academic Services Coordinators