Veterans Administration (VA) Salary Changes
Processing of a VA Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Faculty with University and VA Appointments safeguards the University and UMSOM with respect to commitments to the VA. The Office of Academic Administration currently monitors the processing of MOUs, pays close attention to the accuracy and timeliness of each MOU and provides reports to the SOM, Senior Associate Dean and Chief Operating Officer.
Please note the following regarding VA-MOUs as some of the processing steps are new:
- The need for the MOU is UMSOM driven and agreed to by BVAMC.
- All FULL-TIME SOM Faculty with VA funding (eighths) are considered GFT and must complete a VA MOU.
- The MOU needs to be redone every time there is a change in the number of VA eighths.
- Effort percentages on the VA MOU are not necessarily the same as research effort percentages.
- Unless it is known otherwise, the period covered should be open-ended, so you will not have to re-do every year if there is no change. (For example: “7/1/2022 – Until the faculty member’s effort between the VA and University changes)
- Whenever a faculty member obtains VA eighths, a FAIS, a salary sheet, AND a VA MOU must be submitted (This is a NEW procedure). These must be completed and sent to Lisa L. Kummer via scan for processing. NO ePAFs or paper EAFs should be submitted until the approved VA MOU and FAIS have been returned to the APT Partner.
VA MOU Blank (MS Excel)