University of Maryland Scholars Summer Research Program
The University of Maryland Scholars Summer Research Program (UM Scholars) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine builds on the strengths of two great institutions by enabling outstanding University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) undergraduates to become engaged in summer research projects led by top faculty in the University of Maryland School of Medicine at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). The program provides participating students with in-depth involvement in significant research and professional mentorship in challenging settings. The program also introduces highly talented UMCP undergraduates to the M.D. degree program, the vast array of graduate degree programs, and the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.S. degree opportunities at UMB.
Administered by: University of Maryland School of Medicine/Office of Student Research
Gregory B. Carey, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
Director of Student Summer Research and Community Outreach, OSR
Director, PRISM Program for Medical Students
Director UM Scholars Program
Office of Student Research
University of Maryland School of Medicine
655 West Baltimore Street, Suite M-019
Bressler Research Building
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 706-0094 Fax
- The program seeks to provide talented UMCP STEM-track undergraduate students with an intense, comprehensive, and immersive mentored experience in research at the University of Maryland School of Medicine on the UMB campus. Research projects might be basic, clinical, translational or epidemiological in nature or focus.
- Students selected for the program are typically interested in pursuing either health-profession degrees (especially the M.D. degree), and some are interested in pursuing graduate (e.g. Ph.D. track) research or M.D./Ph.D. or M.D./M.S. dual degree tracks. The program introduces these talented students to the vast array of health or biomedical research projects and topics, the possibilities of careers in medicine and biomedical research, and the variety of degree programs and opportunities at UMB while they execute a well-crafted project with their mentors.
- To train and inspire students in research-based approaches to problem solving.
- To provide a nurturing environment of research community and foster engaging interactions with renowned faculty, researchers, and clinicians and as well other students and trainees who are involved in research and are in various degree and training programs.
- To encourage pursuit in health professions and biomedical research programs and career paths.
More Information about the Program
- UM Scholars Summer 2018 Program - Close for applications, deadline has passed
Please use the Ask UM Scholars Form to submit your questions.