2017/06/20 - SOM Wireless Authentication Migration
Wednesday, June 21st at 6pm, SOM IT staff will migrate authentication services for wireless authentication from Cisco ACS to Cisco ISE. SSID’s which will be migrated, include SOMEmp, IHVEmp, SOMStudent, and Eduroam. No downtime is expected, however users will notice upon reconnection, they may receive a prompt to accept/trust the new certificate that ISE will provide. Any wireless connections already established, should not lose connectivity.
Users will need to log in with their @som credentials moving forward from this point. Legacy @medicine or @epi credentials will no longer work.
2017/06/19 - Ask IT event
We are holding another “Ask IT” event on Thursday, June 29 from 2-4 PM in the Woodward conference room—main hospital N3E05.
What can you do at this event?
- Meet and greet IT Staff
- Ask IT questions
- Get the latest IT news
- Offer suggestions
- Learn something new
- Provide feedback
- Tell us about your IT challenges
- View brief demonstrations on the software/applications we provide
***Please note the purpose of this event is not to fix computer problems. If you are having issues please continue to enter a ticket for service***
We hope to see you there!
2017/06/16 - Multi-factor authentication(DUO) coming to EPI 6/19 for Office 365
To enable a much higher level of security on your account with the goal of protecting SOM data, multi-factor authentication is being implemented using an application named DUO.
What does this mean? What is multi-factor authentication?
Instead of only entering your password to authenticate as you do today, an additional factor will be required. Examples of additional factors include a prompt from the DUO mobile app, a text message or a phone call.
What specifically will be affected?
The Office 365 suite of applications (Outlook Web access, Phone Apps like Outlook, Skype for business etc.) when accessed off-campus from any device or when using the data plan on your smart phone, tablets etc.
When will this take effect?
Monday June 19th
Department of Medicine accounts will receive this in the coming weeks.
What should I do prior to June 19th?
We highly recommend that you Enroll now to ensure you are ready on the 19th.
If I am already enrolled in DUO must I enroll again for Office 365?
Do I have to enroll on campus?
No you can enroll from any computer on the Internet with any web browser.
What will happen if I do not enroll by June 19th?
The first time you use one of the affected services/applications you will be prompted to enroll in DUO.
If you need assistance enter an incident ticket and choose "Remote access" and "DUO” as the item type.
2017/06/12 - .ZIP files blocked from off-campus email
Moving forward, all .ZIP files sent from off-campus email addresses will be blocked. This is in response to the increase in large-scale malware activity. There is no expiration to this policy at this time.
2017/05/30 - New FAQs in Service Desk
We have been working hard to update our Service Desk Self Help section. Here you can find the answer to many of the common questions we receive without waiting for a technician to respond to your ticket.
One of the most recent questions of note: I cannot open wav files from an email attachment on my phone to listen to a voicemail. You receive "This action is blocked by your IT group"
If you want to know the answer take a look at FAQ number 443.
2017/05/16 - Announcing Skype for Business Availability
Skype for Business (SFB) is a powerful collaboration tool that is now available to all active Faculty, Staff and Students.
- Is a great tool for online meetings including instant messaging, desktop sharing, white boarding, polls, Q&A etc. with any SFB user.
- Meetings and conversations can be recorded. (You must review this article before recording any meetings to ensure your meetings are properly backed up.)
- It has been reviewed by the ISO and approved for communications including ePHI as long as those conversations are with other FPI/UMSOM faculty/staff only.
- For $25 a user/year a local phone number will be assigned to your account that allows external users to participate using any telephone.
- Skype for Business is a separate product from personal Skype, however, personal Skype users can participate in Skype for Business meetings with some limitations. (see the attached graphic for details)
- Works on PC and Mac.
- A Skype for Business app is available for smartphones, please visit the App Store on your device to download.
- What is Skype for Business (Highly Recommended)
- Skype for Business YouTube Training Portal
- Run more effective meetings with Skype for Business
- How to setup a Skype for Business Meeting
- View QuickStart guides
- Recommended headsets and WebCams
To get started simply double-click the “Skype for Business” icon the application launcher and enter your @SOM email address.
If you have problems please enter a ticket for assistance.