2023/05/31 - IMPORTANT "DOM DESKTOP" upgrade 6/6@7pm
On June 6th at 7pm, “DOM Desktop” will be unavailable as it’s being replaced and upgraded. We expect the changeover to take about an hour, but it could take a bit longer. When the new system is available, there will be several significant changes:
- Every user will receive a new Windows profile
- Please be sure that all your files are saved to OneDrive/Teams/I Drive prior to the above date.
- The new system is Windows 11 and will be much faster.
- The Windows login will no longer generate a DUO prompt.
- Web shortcuts (i.e. UMM intranet etc.) published by us will only be available in Microsoft Edge in the “Managed Favorites” folder.
- Most applications will be found in the Start menu and not on the desktop. (You can pin apps to the Start menu or Taskbar by right-clicking the icon)
- Teams/Zoom/Webex will now work through DOM Desktop.
- Teams is the recommended communications app and works best with the Remote Desktop Client.
- Zoom Audio/Visual optimizations will be available from Department of Medicine managed devices only.
2023/03/07 - Important - H drive > Onedrive Migration
Onedrive is one application in the Microsoft 365 suite of applications offered at UMB/SOM. It is proven, secure/HIPPA compliant, easy to use/access, and the modern way of storing data. It is also a goal of UMB/SOM to move toward cloud storage in Microsoft 365.
We are planning to do the following:
- Migrate all H drives to OneDrive. (Your H drive will not be available to you after the migration. We/IT will still have access if needed.)
- Turn on the OneDrive feature to automatically backup local documents, pictures, and desktop folders on your respective work computer(s) to your respective OneDrive folder
- Enable a new option on our Sharp copiers(Medicine only) to scan to your respective OneDrive instead of your H drive
- Automatic local folder backups (bullet point 2 from above) will be enabled for everyone starting March 20th.
- We recommend using the defaults of the OneDrive sync client(blue cloud near your clock).
- To access your OneDrive on a mobile device, install the OneDrive app from the “Intune Company Portal” app.
- While you can share your OneDrive data easily, extensive sharing is not recommended. Microsoft Teams should be used for group collaboration.
- You can easily access your files using “Windows Explorer” by looking for OneDrive. You can also access your OneDrive folders directly from within the Office suite.
- All users are given 5TB of storage and all files are kept forever - even when deleted.
- Please click here to access a Onedrive quick start guide.
Migrations will be done by division/group over the coming months. Look for a more detailed email as we start the migrations.
To view archived headlines, click here.