2019/06/17 - Reminder: Leave your computer on every night
It is critical and mandatory to leave all computers powered on at night for security/patching. The following events are scheduled late at night to minimize disruption and adhere to campus security policies:
- virus/malware scans to detect and remove malicious software
- installation of critical security patches
- important software upgrades
- inventory scans to ensure an accurate listing of hardware and software
- scans to detect sensitive data stored locally on the computer
When you are done for the day, please restart your computer and power off your monitor. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
2019/03/21 - Attention: Users with a UMB Windows work laptop only
We must upgrade all supported computers to Windows 10 as soon as possible as Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 in January 2020. As a result, we need your help with laptops. Please review the bullet points below and contact us as soon as possible as necessary.
- Personal laptops are not affected, only work laptops purchased with UMB funds.
- If your laptop is not listed on the attachement sent as part of the orignial email of this post, it is out of support.
- Unused laptops must be returned to the University for proper disposal and cannot be given to non-UMB employees.
- Please enter a ticket for disposal or assistance with a replacement quote.
- If your laptop is < 7 years old and running Windows 7, please enter a ticket for an evaluation and/or upgrade to Windows 10.
- Use this link to determine if you have Windows 7 or 10.
- Allow at least 2 days to reimage a laptop to Windows 10.
- Remember local data is not backed up.
- If your laptop is running Windows 10, please make sure you log into the Cisco AnyConnect VPN prior to logging into Windows using the instructions here.
- Review our Remote Access Policies (short and easy to read) to ensure you're up to date.
2019/03/14 - OneDrive for Business Sync Client
If you are unfamiliar with OneDrive for Business (Microsoft cloud storage) you can find more information on our website.
On 3/21 the OneDrive sync client will become available to all users on Department of Medicine supported computers. The OneDrive sync client allows you to sync your OneDrive or SharePoint files to your local computer for easy access and for laptop users, offline access.
At the same time, we will enable the following two features in OneDrive. (Existing OneDrive sync client users may be prompted regarding these.)
- Files On-Demand will be turned on by default to save space on local computers. (This feature is only available on Windows 10 devices.)
- Protected Folders will be set to prompt users for setup. While actual setup is optional, we highly recommend setting up this feature to protect common folder locations.
You will find OneDrive in the Application Launcher starting on 3/21. The first time you launch OneDrive, it will install and walk you through the setup. Sign in with your SOM email address and password.
If you need assistance, please enter a ticket and we will be happy to help you.
To view archived headlines, click here.