The MD/MPH program is designed to prepare outstanding clinicians, versed in public health. Individuals completing this program will be capable of addressing individual and population-based health issues and will have a wide range of career opportunities. This dual degree adds an additional year so that students graduate with both degrees in five years.
When is the MPH application deadline?
Pre-matriculation Applicants: Applicants must meet all University of Maryland School of Medicine application deadlines. Click here for more information. The application elements for the MPH Program are embedded within the University of Maryland School of Medicine MD secondary application.
Post-matriculation Applicants: Applicants in their MS I or MS II years must ensure that all the application elements are submitted by either the priority deadline (January 15th) or by the final deadline (May 1st). Applicants in their MS III year must ensure that all the application elements are submitted by the priority deadline (January 15th).
How do I apply to the MPH portion of the dual degree?
Pre-matriculation Applicants: For pre-matriculation applicants, the application elements for the MPH Program are embedded within the University of Maryland School of Medicine MD secondary application.
Post-matriculation Applicants: Post-matriculation applicants must submit a supplemental application and supporting materials. Follow the instructions below.
Create a login and select MPH – Master of Public Health. This application is submitted online. In addition to the detailed application information questions within the supplemental application, the following will be requested.
- Supplemental application fee (Paid by credit card or by submitting a non-refundable check made out to the University of Maryland Baltimore in the amount of $50.)
Recommendations from three references:
Provide the form to the individuals that will be completing a recommendation. This form must be submitted to the MPH Program by the individual providing the recommendation and not the applicant. Please note that the applicant must complete the applicant section at the top of page one before providing it to the individual completing the recommendation.
Supporting materials from the School of Medicine:
The MPH Program will accept copies of the following components from the School of Medicine MD Program:
- Official transcripts to date
- Official Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Applicants with post-secondary credentials from academic institutions outside of the US must submit course-by-course evaluations prepared by a foreign credential evaluation service World Education Services (WES)
- TOEFL (Institution code 5688) or IELTS (applicants must request from the test center where they took the IELTS exam to have the IELTS test scores sent to SOPHAS) is required of all international applicants. This requirement will be waived for those applicants who have:
- Earned a degree from an accredited University in which the language of instruction is English OR
- Passed a US professional equivalency exam where English is tested (example, ECFMG)