Division of Cardiac Surgery
Cardiac surgical services are managed as part of a highly effective multidisciplinary program within The Maryland Heart Center. We offer an extensive range of cardiac surgical services, from repairing congenital heart defects in infants and children to performing heart transplantations and other complex procedures for high-risk adult patients. Cardiac Surgery Subspecialties include:
- Aortic Center for Thoracic Disease
- Center for Coronary Revascularization
- Cardiopulmonary Transplantation and Healing
- Congenital Heart Defect Repair in Infants and Children
- Heart Valve Center
- Mechanical Implants
- Pulmonary Hypertension Program
All cardiac surgery faculty are actively engaged in teaching medical students, residents and fellows about the latest cardiac surgical techniques and investigations. A new Integrated Cardiothoracic Residency Training Program provides residents with total immersion into the diagnosis and management of all aspects of cardiovascular and thoracic diseases through multi-disciplinary training. University of Maryland is one of only 17 such programs in the country.
Superb clinical care is supported by a deep bench of scientific research has a direct impact on future patient care here at University of Maryland and in partnership with all affiliate hospitals. Cardiac Surgical faculty are engaged in nearly thirty translational and clinical research awards to investigate the causes of heart disease and find new ways to treat it. Here are just a few examples of research that has the potential to dramatically transform patient care:
- Development of the first wearable, biocompatible artificial pump-lung device, which can serve as a bridge to transplant or healing through other therapies;
- Improvement of donor organ quality prior to transplantation through the ex-vivo perfusion of donor lungs with bone marrow derived stem cells to mitigate tissue injury;
- Comparison of the regenerative abilities of neonatal and adult-derived human cardiac stem cells;
- Replacement of elongated/ruptured "chords" with GoreTex; an innovation that would dramatically improve outcomes for patients with mitral valve disease.
- Azimzadeh, Agnes, Ph.D.
- Brown, James, M.D.
- Dawood, Murtaza, M.D.
- Deatrick, Barry K., M.D.
- Finney, Stewart, M.D.
- Gammie, James , M.D.
- Griffith, Bartley, M.D.
- Herr, Daniel, M.D.
- Kaczorowski, David, M.D.
- Kaushal, Sunjay , Ph.D., M.D.
- Pierson, Richard N. III, M.D.
- Salenger, Rawn, M.D.
- Strickland, Dudley, Ph.D.
- Taylor, Bradley, M.D., M.P.H.
Learn More: Heart and Vascular Center