Thank you for your interest in the Master's in Genetic Counseling Program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore.
All application documents, along with a $60.00 non-refundable application fee, must be received by our office by January 17, 2017.
All applications and supporting materials will be reviewed and selected candidates will be offered a personal interview. Notification of admission is made in late spring. Six to eight students are accepted per year.
GRE Codes: Institutional code 5848, Department code 0210 (Genetics)
For questions contact Ann Toma, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Admissions Application Instructions
Please read all instructions below before completing your on-line application. We suggest that you reserve about 30 minutes to complete the on-line application. You will create a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and Password. Your PIN and Password enable you to return to your application as many times as you wish before your final submission to the MGC Program.
Use your PIN and password to track and periodically check the progress of your application online. Make sure you use the same PIN and password each time you log-in.
All of your information is transmitted through a secure server and is kept fully confidential. Your application information and accompanying credentials are reviewed by faculty admissions representatives of the program.
General Guidelines and Instructions
Before completing the on-line application, please review our program admissions requirements and guidelines.
In addition to completing the on-line application information, you are required to submit the following items as part of your application for admission directly to the MGC Program:
- 3 letters of recommendation. Download copies of recommendation forms. Please send hard copies or email letters of recommendation. If the student is collecting the hard copy of the recommendation, please have the individual completing the recommendation seal the envelope and sign the glued flap along the crease covering both the flap and the area just below. Hard copies can be mailed to the address at the bottom of this page and emailed letters may be sent directly from the recommender to email@example.com.
- 1 copy of your most recent resume. This may be sent as an electronic file, clearly referencing your last name in the file name, to Ann Toma, MGC Acdemic Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or as a hard copy to the MGC Program address listed below.
- Official transcripts or marks sheets (1 set) from all prior colleges/universities sent directly from the institution.
- Official Graduate Record Examination score report(1 copy)
- Must have been taken within 5 years of desired admission term
- GRE Codes: Institutional code 5848, Department code 0210 (Genetics)
- Must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service.
- Career Statement - Applicants will be asked to cut and paste this statement directly into the electronic application. Please send an additional electronic copy, clearly referencing your last name in the file name, as backup directly to: Ann Toma, MGC Academic Coordinator, email@example.com.
- In accordance with the University System of Maryland Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes, students wishing to be considered for in-state, resident, classification should visit the following website and follow the instructions to submit the appropriate documentation: http://www.umaryland.edu/registrar/residency/application/
- International Applicants must also send the additional items:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score report (Must have been taken within 2 years of start of desired admission term), Institutional code is 5848. Must be sent directly from the testing service.
- It is very important that we are able to contact you by phone during the application period. There is a specific question in the application where you are able to write in the “best” phone number where you can be reached until May 15. For many applicants this is their personal cell phone number. If for any reason this specified contact number should change during the application process please contact us immediately via Ann Toma, MGC Academic Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org with the new information.
- $60 (US) Non-refundable application fee (Directions are given at the completion of the on-line application on methods of payment).
The application deadline date is January 17, 2017. All support materials and the application fee must be received by this date. An application is not considered valid until payment of the application fee is received. All applications and supporting materials will be reviewed and selected candidates will be offered a personal interview. Notification of admission is made in late spring. Six to eight students are accepted per year.
All items and materials submitted by mail should be addressed to:
Master’s in Genetic Counseling Training Program
University of Maryland School of Medicine
685 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Final Notes and Reminders about the Online Application
You may stop and save your work to continue at a later time while completing the on-line application. Please note, however, your application will not be reviewed or considered until it is submitted successfully, nor until all required items are received and the $60 fee is received.
The first thing you will need to do is to create a login and password. The password must be at least six characters long. This will allow you to come back and check your application after submission. We will update your application as we receive the requested supplemental information so it is advisable to check your application periodically. The next thing will be to select an application type. From the drop down box please choose: MGC-Genetic Counseling.
Before you click the 'Submit' button of your on-line application print each page for your records. Write down your PIN and keep it in a secure place for future reference when checking the status of your application.
All application materials should be sent to:
University of Maryland School of Medicine
685 W. Baltimore St.
Baltimore, MD 21201