Certificate Program in Clinical Research
Clinicians and scientists who wish to work in clinical research often need additional didactic training in order to gain analytic skills that are not covered in their health professional or graduate education. Many faculty and fellows are not able to take the entire MS in Clinical Research track but would like evidence that they have successfully completed training in clinical research. The Maryland Higher Education Commission has approved the Certificate Program in Clinical Research.
Objectives and Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation students will gain the ability to:
- identify important research questions
- develop research protocols
- generate pilot data
- conduct clinical investigations
- develop and submit grant proposals
This 12 credit certificate will provide didactic training in the core aspects of clinical research including:
- study design
- data management
- scientific communication
- the ethical, legal and regulatory issues in clinical research
- PREV 600 (3 credits) Principles of Epidemiology
- PREV 616 (2 credits) Introduction to Clinical and Translational Research at UMB
- PREV 633 (2 credits) Application of Legal and Regulatory Issues in Clinical Research
- CIPP 907/CIPP 909 (1 credit) Responsible Conduct of Research
- PREV 620* (3 credits) Principles of Biostatistics OR PREV 621 (3 credits) Biostatistical Methods (with approval, students may substitute another 3 credit biostatistics course to meet this requirement)
- PREV 710 (1 credit) Clinical and Translational Research Project Design and Implementation
*Please Note: PREV 620 must be taken concurrently with PREV 619 Introduction to SAS (1 credit).
The Graduate School requires:
- a completed application (online or paper)
- one set of official transcripts from all prior undergraduate and graduate study
- three letters of recommendation and a statement of academic goals and research interests
- GRE scores (or professional training program score - MCAT etc.)
Due dates for the Certificate applications:
- March 1, 2023 (early admission deadline)
- May 15, 2023 (final deadline)
Please refer to the application instructions for complete information regarding application requirements.
For more information about admissions:
Tuition & Financial Aid
Financial assistance is not available for the certificate program.
For more information, please visit UMB Financial Services.