Procedures to place a request for importation of animals other than from “UMB Veterinary Resources Approved Vendors”, are to occur as follows:
- Please complete the Animal Import Form and send to Ms. Chloe Jenkins:email@example.com (or her designee indicated on out of office responses).
- Ms. Jenkins (or her designee) will contact the indicated institutions Export Offices to request required health or sentinel monitoring records for veterinary review.
- Once requested records are received, they will be emailed to the UMB importation veterinarian for review.
- Based on veterinary review, the request with either be: approved, denied or we will send a request for supplemental testing and results for additional secondary veterinary review (and final approval or denial).
- If approved, Ms. Jenkins (or her designee) will then contact the exporting institution’s export officers/veterinarian, to make arrangements for importation.
- On arrival animals will enter the Veterinary Resources quarantine room and samples are taken in approximately 3 weeks for test submission. Total time spent in quarantine is usually 4-5 weeks. Upon post approval of those results, animal may be released for PI utilization.
- Note: Per diems are charged to the Investigator’s account while in quarantine. Investigators will also be billed for VR time spent collecting samples and the cost of the testing.
- Please also review the current animal import fees
Procedures to place a request for exportation of animals are to occur as follows:
- Please complete the Animal Export Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org (or her designee indicated on out of office responses).
- Label cages intended for export with Red Export Cards. Ms. Jenkins can provide these cards upon request.
- Diagnostic testing results from the previous year are obtained and sent to the receiving institution.
- Note: the turnaround for diagnostic results is 2-3 weeks.
- The institution will either accept, deny, or request additional testing (if applicable).
- If additional testing is required, the PI must supply payment for the service. Once payment is secured, the VR diagnostic lab manager collects the samples and sends results once available.
- Once animals are approved to ship, Ms. Jenkins will arrange a date for pick-up and will prepare the animals as needed on the scheduled date.