Skip to main content

Animal Housing

All research animals (mammal, amphibian, fish, etc.) are to be housed withing our facilities unless approved otherwise.

The following areas are used for the housing of research animals:

  • Bressler Research Building (BRB)
  • Health Sciences Research Facility I (HSRF-I)
  • Health Sciences Research Facility II (HSRF-II)
  • Health Sciences Research Facility III (HSRF-III)
  • Howard Hall (HH)
  • Medical School Teaching Facility (MSTF)
  • School of Dentistry
  • School of Nursing
  • School of Pharmacy
  • UMB Bio-Park I & II

Satellite Facilities:

  • Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center
  • Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology (IMET)
  • Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC)

Accessing Animal Facilities on UMB Campus

If your research duties require that you have access to one of the animal facilities, please email with:

  • A request outlining which animal facility you need access to and why.
  • A photo of both sides of the I.D. must be included
  • Department, Center, Program or Institution Chair/Director should be copied as should Faculty Mentor if applicable.


  • You many never allow someone else to use your ID to enter an animal facility.
  • Unauthorized persons (including co-workers, visitors, friends and children) are not permitted in the facilities without the approval of Veterinary Resources.
  • Veterinary Resources veterinary staff and professional colleagues, such as site visitors accompanying the veterinary staff, have unrestricted access to all areas of the campus where animals are held.