Kidney transplant program
Director of Kidney Transplant Program
Education and Training
University of Crete School of Medicine - Greece, 2004
- Broomfield Hospital, Mid-Essex Hospital Services- UK, 2006
Drama General Hospital- Greece, 2008
'G. Papanikolaou' Hospital-Greece, 2011
Guy's Hospital, London - Transplant and Access Surgery - Senior Clinical Fellow, 2012
King's College Hospital, London - Renal and Vascular Access Surgery - Senior Clinical Fellow, 2013
Churchill Hospital, Oxford - Transplant and HPB Surgery - Senior Clinical Fellow, 2015
Georgios Vrakas, MD, PhD is an Associate Professor in the Division of Transplant Surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and Director of the Kidney Transplant Program at UM Medical Center. His clinical practice currently focuses on kidney and pancreas transplantation, as well as access operations for renal failure and organ procurement. Dr. Vrakas is also interested in Renal Auto-transplants following ex vivo resection of complex renal tumors and reconstruction of the remnant kidney.
Dr. Vrakas served at Oxford University Hospitals as a Consultant Surgeon and Lead of Renal Transplantation at Churchill Hospital. He received his Medical Degree from the University of Crete, Greece, a MSc Degree in Hepatobiliary Surgery from Democritus University, Greece and a PhD from Aristotle University, Greece. Dr. Vrakas completed clinical training in General Surgery at Broomfield Hospital (UK), Drama General Hospital (Greece) and ‘G. Papanikolaou’ General Hospital in Thessaloniki (Greece). He then completed additional specialized Transplant Surgery training at Guy’s Hospital, Kings College Hospital and Churchill Hospital, UK.
Dr. Vrakas has published multiple peer reviewed publications and authored several book chapters and published abstracts. His research projects have been focused on intestinal and vascularized composite allograft (VCA) transplantation. His studies look into the role of the VCA as a surrogate marker for visceral allograft rejection. In February 2014, his paper ‘Abdominal Wall Transplantation to Complement Intestinal Transplantation’ was nominated for the Medawar Medal by the British Transplantation Society (Glasgow, UK). In August 2016, Dr. Vrakas was awarded the “Young Investigator Award” by The Transplantation Society for his research on the development of donor specific antibodies after combined intestinal and vascularized composite allograft transplantation. He was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Ad Eundem.
Dr. Vrakas is interested in fundraising and summited Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa, highest free-standing mountain in the world and highest peak in Africa (Uhuru Peak, 5985m), in aid of Steven Prescott Foundation. He also cycled (tandem bike) from Paris to London, in aid of the Guts in Motion charity.
transplantation, intestinal, kidney, pancreas, VCA, vascular access, peritoneal dialysis, kidney autotransplantation
- An analysis of the association between older recipient age and outcomes after whole organ pancreas transplantation. Mittal S, Smilevska R, Franklin R, Hammer C, Knight S, Vrakas G, Reddy S, Gilbert J, Quiroga I, Sharples E, Ploeg R, Friend P, Sinha S. Transpl Int. 2020 Jan 14. doi: 10.1111/tri.13575. [Epub ahead of print]
- The impact of intestinal transplantation on quality of life. Ambrose T, Holdaway L, Smith A, Howe H, Vokes L, Vrakas G, Reddy S, Giele H, Travis SPL, Friend PJ, Allan PJ. Clin Nutr. 2019 Aug 31. pii: S0261-5614(19)33035-3.
- The future of organ perfusion and re-conditioning. Weissenbacher A, Vrakas G, Nasralla D, Ceresa CDL. Transpl Int. 2019 Jun;32(6):586-597.Review.
- De Novo Donor-Specific HLA Antibodies after Combined Intestinal and Vascularised Composite Allotransplantation- a retrospective study. Weissenbacher A*, Vrakas G*, Chen M, Allan PJ, Giele H, Barnardo M, Vaidya A, Reddy S, Friend PJ, Fuggle SV. Transpl Int. 2018 Apr;31(4):398-407.
- Synergistic Effect of Ischaemic Preconditioning and Antithrombin in Ischemia/ Reperfusion injury. Vrakas G, Roidos GN, Michopoulou A, Tsalis K, Vaidya A. Exp Clin Transplant. 2017 Jun;15(3):320-328.
- Intestinal Transplantation: A Review. Loo L, Vrakas G, Reddy S, Allan PJ. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2017 May; 33(3): 203-211.
- Current State Of Abdominal Wall Transplantation. Giele H, Vaidya A, Reddy S, Vrakas G, Friend P. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2016 Apr; 21(2): 159-64.
- Abdominal Wall Transplantation: A Sentinel Marker for Rejection. Gerlach UA, Vrakas G, Sawitzki B, Macedo R, Reddy S, Friend PJ, Giele H, Vaidya A. Am J Transplant. 2016 Jun; 16(6): 1892-900.
- Cytoreductive Surgery And Small Bowel Transplantation Is A Feasible Option For Patients With End-Stage Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. Allan P, Reddy S, Moran B, Vrakas G, Giele H, Mohamad F, Gilbert J, Sinha S, Vaidya A, Cecil T, Friend P. Gut 2016; 65: A106-A10
- Solitary Pancreas Transplantation: A Review of the UK experience over a period of 10 yrs. Vrakas G, Arantes RM, Gerlach U, Reddy S, Friend P, Vaidya A. Clin Transplant. 2015 Dec; 29(12): 1195-202.
- Modified Liver-free Multivisceral Transplantation for a Metastatic Small Bowel Neuroendocrine Tumor: A Case Report. Frilling, H. Giele, G. Vrakas, S. Reddy, R. Macedo, A. Al-Nahhas, H. Wasan, A.K. Clift, G.E. Gondolesi, R.M. Vianna, P. Friend, and A. Vaidya. Transplant Proc. 2015 Apr; 47(3): 858-62.
- Markers of Malnutrition after Intestinal Transplantation: The Role of IGF-1 and Calprotectin. Vrakas G, O’Connor M, Matsou A, Arantes RM, Friend P, Reddy S, Vaidya A. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2015 Jan; 56(1): 64-5.
- Chronic intestinal failure following Crohn’s disease: When to transplant. Gerlach U, Vrakas G, Reddy S, Baumgar DC, Neuhaus P, Friend PJ, Pascher A, Vaidya A. JAMA Surg. 2014 Oct; 149(10): 1060-6.
- A Comparison of the Outcomes of One- and Two-stage Brachio-basilic Arteriovenous Fistulas. Vrakas G, Defigueiredo F, Turner S, Jones C, Taylor J, Calder F. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Nov; 58(5): 1300-4.
- Clinically Significant Peripancreatic Fluid Collections After Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney Transplantation. Singh RP, Vrakas G, Hayek S, Hayek S, Anam S, Aqueel M, Olsburgh J, Calder F, Mamode N, Callaghan C, Kessaris N, Pattison J, Hilton R, Koffman G, Taylor JD, Drage MW. Transplantation. 2013 May 27;95(10):1263-9.
The Transplantation Society Young Investigator Award, 26th International Congress of The Transplantation Society, 18- 23 August 2016, Hong Kong.
Surgical Tutor of the Year 2016, 2nd place, Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford, UK.
Surgical Tutor of the Year 2015, 1st place, Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Oxford, UK.
Medawar Medal nomination: Abdominal Wall Transplantation to Complement Intestinal Transplantation. Vrakas G, Giele H, Reddy S, Casey G, Bendon C, Arantes RM, Friend P, Vaidya A. BTS, 26- 28 February 2014, Glasgow, UK
Internship at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston USA (Scholarship, 2003).