Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
HSF III Building, Baltimore, MD 21201
Education and Training
Postdoctoral Fellow, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA, 2020
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa 2016
M.Sc., Biomedical Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 2012
Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
- Saleh MG., Sharp S-K, Alhamud A, Spottiswoode B.S., van der Kouwe A.J.W., Davies N.H., Franz T., Meintjes E.M. Long-term left ventricular remodelling in rat model of non-reperfused myocardial infarction: Sequential MR imaging using a 3T clinical scanner. J Biomed Biotechnol (2012). 2012, Article ID 504037, 10 pages.
- Saleh M.G., Alhamud A., Near J., van der Kouwe A.J.W., Meintjes E.M. Volumetric navigated MEGA-SPECIAL for real-time motion and shim corrected GABA editing. NMR Biomed. 2016, 29(3), 248-55.
- Saleh M.G., Oeltzschner G., Chan K.L., Puts N.A.J., Mikkelsen M., Schär M., Harris A.D., Edden R.A.E. Simultaneous Edited MRS of GABA and Glutathione. Neuroimage, 2016, 142:576–582.
- Saleh M.G., Rimbault D., Mikkelsen M., Oeltzschner G., Wang A.M., Jiang D., Alhamud A., Near J., Schär M., Noeske R., Murdoch J.B., Ersland L., Craven A.R., Pan Li., Ahn S., Edden R.A.E. Multi-Vendor Standardized Sequence for Edited Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. 2019, 189:425–431
- Saleh M.G., Wang A.M., Mikkelsen M., Hui S.C.N., Oeltzschner G., Boissoneault J., Stennett B., Edden R.A.E, Porges E.C. Simultaneous edited MRS of GABA, glutathione and ethanol. NMR Biomed. 33:e4227
- Ackermann C., Andronikou S., Saleh M.G., Kidd M, Cotton M.F., Meintjes E.M., Laughton B., Diffusion tensor imaging point to ongoing functional impairment in HIV-infected children at age 5, undetectable using standard neurodevelopmental assessments. AIDS Res Ther. 2020, 17:1–15.
- Oeltzschner G., Zöllner H.J., Hui S.C.N., Mikkelsen M., Saleh M.G., Tapper S., Edden RAE. Osprey: Open-Source Processing, Reconstruction & Estimation of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Data. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2020, 343.
- Gong T., Zhang X., Wei X., Yuan S., Saleh M.G., Song Y., Edden RAE., Wang G. GSH and GABA decreases in IDH1-mutated low-grade gliomas detected by HERMES spectral editing at 3 T in vivo. Neurochemistry International. 2020, 141
- Song Y., Gong T., Saleh M.G., Mikkelsen M., Wang G., Edden R.A.E. Upper brainstem GABA levels in Parkinson’s disease. Magn Reson Mater Phy. doi:10.1007/s10334-021-00910-7
- Harris A.D., Saleh M.G., Edden R.A.E. Edited 1H Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy In Vivo: Methods and Metabolites. Magn Reson Med. 2017, 77:1377–1389.
- Saleh M.G., Edden R.A.E, Chang L., Ernst T. Motion Correction in Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med. 2020, 84:2312-2326.
Dr. Saleh's research interests are developing new and robust magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) methods and applying them to study the healthy and diseased brain. Recently, he led the development of the standardization of advanced edited MRS methods across all four major MR vendors (Siemens, Philips, GE, and Canon), permitting impactful multi-site MRS investigations. His methods are applied to a variety of clinical research applications in the US and abroad.
Among the challenges of edited MRS is that it requires a long scan time to attain data with a sufficient signal-to-noise ratio, making it susceptible to subject motion. Dr. Saleh's primary research involves addressing subject motion by employing motion-corrected advanced MRS methods to characterize the neurometabolic profile of healthy and diseased individuals with comorbid substance use disorder.
In addition to developing novel methods, Dr. Saleh disseminates them and collaborates with researchers involved in various projects, including HIV/AIDS, aging, brain development, and the novel Covid-19.