10 South Pine St., MSTF 460B
Education and Training
Hunan Medical College, Changsha, China, B.M., 1983
Hunan Medical College, Changsha, China, M.Sc., 1998
University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Baltimore, Postdoctoral Researcher, Molecular Biology, 1999-2005
Dr. Li obtained his medical degree from Hunan Medical College in China. He completed his residency in anesthesiology at Changde Hospital, Cancer Research Institute & Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and a Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship at Xiangya Hospital in China. From 1991 to 1999, he was on the faculty of the Hunan Medical University and practicing in the departments of anesthesiology at Xiangya Hospital. He also obtained a Master’s Degree in the Science of Clinical Research in Hunan Medical University in China and continued his postdoc training in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at University of Maryland School of Dentistry in USA. Dr. Li has been working in the laboratory of Drs. Bartley P Griffith and Zhongjun J Wu in the Department of Surgery of the University of Maryland School of Medicine since 2005. He currently holds a Research Associate position as a laboratory manager.
The research projects have been focused on 1) strain controlled LVAD unloading and the molecular mechanism of cardiac remodeling after acute myocardial infarction in large animal models; 2) anesthesia safety in various large animal models following myocardial infarction, acute respiratory distress, Fontan, and implantation of LVAD and artificial pump lungs; 3) identifying the molecular causes of multiscale dynamics of shear-induced blood damage.
Apoptosis, Myocardial infarction, Cardiac remodeling, Strain, left ventricular assist devices, Artificial pump lung, Large animal model, Platelet, Stem cell.
- Tieluo Li, Xufeng Wei, Charles F. Evans, Pablo G. Sanchez, Shuying Li, Zhongjun J. Wu, and Bartley P. Griffith. Left-ventricular unloading after acute myocardial infarction reduces MMP/JNK assocaiated apoptosis and promotes FAK cell-survival signaling. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 102(6):1919-1924.
- Tieluo Li, Xufeng Wei, A. Claire Watkins, Pablo G. Sanchez, Zhongjun J. Wu and Bartley P. Griffith. Prophylactic amiodarone and lidocaine improve survival in an ovine model of large size myocardial infarction. J Surg Res. 2013; 185(1):152-8.
- Tieluo Li, Ahmet Kilic, Xufeng Wei, Changfu Wu, G. Kwame Yankey, Meredith Bond, Zhongjun J Wu and Bartley P Griffith. Regional imbalanced activation of the calcineurin/BAD apoptotic pathway and the PI3K/Akt survival pathway after myocardial infarction. International Journal of Cardioloy, 2013; 166(1):158-65.
- Yunshan Zhao, Tieluo Li (co-first author), Xufeng Wei, Giacomo Bianchi, Jingping Hu, Pablo G. Sanchez, Kai Xu, Pei Zhang, Mark F. Pittenger, Zhongjun J. Wu and Bartley P. Griffith. Mesenchymal stem cell transplantation improves regional cardiac remodeling following ovine infarction. Stem Cells Translational Medicine 2012; 1:685–695.
- Nandan K. Mondal, Tieluo Li, Zengsheng Chen, Hegang H. Chen, Erik N. Sorensen, Si M. Pham, Michael A. Sobieski, Steven C. Koenig, Mark S. Slaughter, Bartley P. Griffith, Zhongjun J. Wu. Mechanistic insight of platelet apoptosis leading to non-surgical bleeding among heart failure patients supported by continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2017; 433(1-2):125-137.
- Charles F. Evans, Tieluo Li, Vikas Mishra, Diana L. Pratt, Isa S.K. Mohammed, Zachary N. Kon and Bartley P. Griffith. Externally visible thrombus partially predicts internal thrombus deposition in extracorporeal membrane oxygenators. Perfusion, 2017; 32(4):301-305.
- Pablo G. Sanchez, Chetan Pasrija, Matthew J. Mulligan, Mandheer Wadhwa, Diana L. Pratt, Tieluo Li, James S. Gammie, Zachary N. Kon, Si M. Pham, and Bartley P. Griffith. A Novel Large Animal Model of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Induced by Mitochondrial Products. Annals of Surgery 2016 Oct 4.
- Brody Wehman, Sudhish Sharma, Nicholas Pietris, Rachana Mishra, Osama Siddiqui, Grace Bigham, Tieluo Li, Emily Aiello, Sarah Murthi, Mark Pittenger, Bartley Griffith, Sunjay Kaushal. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Preserve Neonatal Right Ventricular Function In a Porcine Model Of Pressure Overload. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2016; 310(11):1816-26.
- Brody Wehman, Nicholas Pietris, Grace Bigham, Osama Siddiqui, Rachana Mishra, Tieluo Li, Emily Aiello, Godly Jack, Wendy Wang, Sarah Murthi, Sudhish Sharma, and Sunjay Kaushal. Cardiac Progenitor Cells Enhance Neonatal Right Ventricular Function After Pulmonary Artery Banding. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 4975(17):30662-8.
- Xufeng Wei, Pablo G. Sanchez, Yang Liu, A. Claire Watkins, Tieluo Li, Bartley P. Griffith, and Zhongjun J. Wu. Extracorporeal Respiratory Support with Miniature Integrated Pediatric Pump-Lung Device in an Acute Ovine Respiratory Failure Model. Artif Organs, 2016; 40(11):1046-1053.
- Xufeng Wei, Pablo G. Sanchez, Yang Liu, Tieluo Li, A. Claire Watkins, Zhongjun J. Wu and Bartley P. Griffith. Mechanical circulatory support of a univentricular fontan circulation with a continuous axial-flow pump in a piglet model. ASAIO J. 2015; 61(2):196-201.
- Yang Liu, Pablo G. Sanchez, Xufeng Wei, Tieluo Li, A. Claire Watkins, Shuying Li, Bartley P. Griffith, Zhongjun J. Wu. Right ventricular unloading and respiratory support with a wearable artificial pump-lung in an ovine model. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2014; 33(8):857-63.
- Yang Gao, Tieluo Li, Changfu Wu, Gregory J. Bittle, Shengxi Chen, Zhongjun J. Wu, Bartley P. Griffith. Pim-1 Mediated Signaling during the Process of Cardiac Remodeling Following Myocardial Infarction in Ovine Hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2013; 63:89-97.
- Xufeng Wei, Tieluo Li, Shuying Li, Ho Sung Son, Pablo Sanchez, Shuqiong Niu, A. Claire Watkins, Christopher DeFilippi, Robert Jarvik, Zhongjun J. Wu, Bartley P. Griffith. Pre-clinical evaluation of the infant Jarvik 2000 heart in a neonate piglet model. J Heart Lung Transplant 2013; 32:112–119.
- Xufeng Wei, Tieluo Li, Pablo Sanchez, Amelia Watkins, Shuying Li, Christopher DeFilippi, Zhongjun J. Wu, and Bartley P. Griffith. Initial Experience with a Juvenile Sheep Model for Evaluation of the Pediatric Intracorporeal Ventricular Assist Services. ASAIO Journal 2013; 59:75–80.
- Xufeng Wei, Tieluo Li, Brian Hagen, Pei Zhang, Katrina Williams, Shuying Li, Giacomo Bianchi, Ho Sung Son, Pablo Sanchez, Changfu Wu, Wonbae Chang, Jingping Hu, Christopher DeFilippi, Kai Xu, William J. Lederer, Zhongjun J. Wu, Bartley P Griffith. Short-term Mechanical Unloading with Left Ventricular Assist Devices after Acute Myocardial Infarction Conserves Calcium Cycling and Improves Heart Function. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013; 6(4):406-15.
- Godfred K. Yankey, Tieluo Li, Ahmet Kilic, Guangming Cheng, Zhongjun J. Wu and Bartley P. Griffith: Regional remodeling strain and its association with myocardial apoptosis after myocardial infarction in an ovine model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 135(5):991-8.
- Ahmet Kilic, Tieluo Li, Timothy D. C. Nolan, Zhongjun Wu and Bartley P. Griffith: Strain-related regional alterations of calcium-handling proteins in myocardial remodeling. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006;132(4):900-8.
- Ahmet Kilic, Timothy D. C. Nolan, Ahmet Kilic, Timothy D. C. Nolan, Tieluo Li, Zhongjun Wu and Bartley P. Griffith: Early in vivo experience with the pediatric Jarvik 2000 heart. ASAIO J. 2007 May-Jun;53(3):374-8., Zhongjun Wu and Bartley P. Griffith: Early in vivo experience with the pediatric Jarvik 2000 heart. ASAIO J. 2007; 53(3):374-8.
- Pei Feng, Tieluo Li, Zhixin Guan, Renty B. Franklin, Leslie C. Costello. Effect of zinc on prostatic tumorigenicity in nude mice. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2003; 1010:316-20.