Medical Director of Outpatient Radiology Oncology, University of Maryland Shore Regional Hospital
The Requard Radiation Oncology Center at University of MD Shore Regional Health 509 Idlewild Avenue Easton, Maryland 21601
Education and Training
University of Maryland Medical Center
- Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology
Medstar Harbor Hospital, Preliminary Internal medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine, MD
- Doctor of Medicine
Tulane University, A.B. Freeman School of Business
- Bachelor of Science, Business
Dr. Emily S. Kowalski is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Maryland. Currently she serves as Medical Director of the Requard Radiation Oncology Center at the University of Maryland Shore Regional Health. Her areas of clinical and research interests are broad but include innovative approaches to breast, gynecologic and head and neck malignancies, radiation of benign and malignant primary and secondary brain tumors and palliative radiation.
Dr. Kowalski’s research efforts have focused on implementing advanced treatment technologies, improving treatment efficacy and decreasing side effects. She has published her work in peer reviewed journals and received awards for her presentations from the American Society for Radiation Oncology and the Society for Thermal Medicine.
Prior to pursuing medicine, Dr. Kowalski earned a Bachelor of Science from the Tulane University Freeman School of Business. A certified public accountant, she spent her early career as a financial consultant for a top-tier firm supporting multi-national companies through financial and litigation hardships. Her decision to change careers and pursue radiation oncology was made while caring for a close family member with cancer.
Emily enjoys applying both her academic medical and business backgrounds in her role as Medical Director. She is passionate about providing personalized cancer care utilizing the most modern radiation technology and expanding clinical trial options for residents of the Eastern Shore.
General radiation, breast cancer, gynecologic malignancies, brain tumors and head and neck malignancies.
- Kowalski, E, Feigenberg, J, Cohen, J, Fellows, Z, Vadnais, P, Rice, S, Mishra, M, Molitoris, J, Nichols, E, Snider J. Optimal Target Delineation and Treatment Techniques for Conformal Photon and Proton Breast and Regional Nodal Irradiation. Practical Radiation Oncology. May 2020. Volume 10, issue 3, p174-182. DOI: 1016/j.prro.2019.11.010
- Kowalski, ES, Remick, JS, Khairnar, R, Sun, K, Morse, E, Cherng, H, Poirier, Y, Lamichhane, N, Becker, S, Chen, S, Patel, A, Nichols, E, Mohindra, P, Kwok, Y, Mishra, MV. Immune Checkpoint Inhibition in Patients Treated with SRS for Brain Metastases. Accepted and pending publication in Radiation Oncology.
- Remick, J, Kowalski, E, Khairnar, R, Sun, K, Morse, E, Hua-Ren, R.C., Poirier, Y, Lamichhane, N, Becker, S, Chen, S, Patel, A, Kwok, Y, Nichols, E, Mohindra, P, Woodworth, G, Regine, W, Mishra, M. A Multi-center Analysis of Single-Fraction versus Hypofractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery for the Treatment of Brain Metastasis. Radiation Oncology. 15, 28 (2020).
- Sharma, A.M., Kowalski, E.S., McGovern, N, Mingyao, Z, Mishra, M.V. Proton vs Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy: First Dosimetric Comparison for Total Scalp Irradiation. International Journal of Particle Therapy. Dec 2019. Vol.6 No.3. 19-26. https://doi.org/10.14338/IJPT-19-00069.1
- Sharma, A M, Khairnar, R, Kowalski, E, Remick, J, Nichols, EM, Mohindra, P, Yock, T, Regine, W, Mishra, MV. Patient Prioritization for Proton Beam Therapy in a Cost-neutral Payer Environment: Use of the Clinical Benefit Score for Resource Allocation. Cureus. Sept. 2019, 11(9): e5703. DOI: 7759/cureus.5703
- Sharma, AM., Simone, CB., Remick, J., Kowalski, E., Mishra V. A Proton Primer to Stereotactic Lung Radiotherapy. Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology.2019; 3:16. DOI: 10.21037/tro.2019.04.01 (literature review and editing).