Education and Training
2000-2004: B.S., Microbiology, University of California at Santa Barbara
2007-2008: M.S., Cell and Neurobiology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine
2009-2013: M.D., University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine
Post Graduate Education and Training
2013-2017: Residency, Anesthesiology, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
2017-Present: Fellowship, Critical Care Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Dr. Chancer is a native of Hawaii and completed medical school training at the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine, followed by a residency in anesthesiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center. He then completed a fellowship in Anesthesiology-Critical Care Medicine. He will be part of the Adult Multispecialty Anesthesiology Group and the Division of Critical Care Anesthesiology, based primarily at UMMC.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Lorenzana, A., Chancer, Z., and Schauwecker, P.E. A quantitative trait locus on chromosome 18 is a critical determinant of excitotoxic cell death susceptibility. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25(7):1998-2008.
- McCord, M.C., Lorenzana, A., Bloom, C.S., Chancer, Z.A., Schauwecker, P.E. Effect of age on kainate-induced seizure severity and cell death. Neuroscience. 2008;154(3):1143-1153.
- Sanford T, Chancer Z, Kiyosaki K. Medical student research at the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM): the Research Interest Group. Hawaii Med J. 2010;69(7):172-3.
- Chancer, Z.A., McNeill, T.H., and Schauwecker, P.E. Genetic influence on epilepsy-associated adult hippocampal neurogenesis in inbred strains of mice. Program No. 1015.17. 2005 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2005. Online.
- Lorenzana, A. O., Chancer, Z. A., Schauwecker, P. E. Effects of reproductive senescence in a mouse model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Program No. 492.18. 2007 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. San Diego, CA: Society for Neuroscience, 2007. Online
- Schauwecker, P. E., Chancer, Z.A., Lorenzana A. O. Confirmation of quantitative trait loci for seizure-induced cell death in C57BL/6 and FVB/N mice using reciprocal congenic strains. Program No. 799.5. 2007 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. San Diego, CA: Society for Neuroscience, 2007. Online.
- Lorenzana, A.O., Chancer, Z.A., Schauwecker, P. E. Hormonal Modulation of Epilepsy During Reproductive Senescence. Epilepsia. 2007;48(S6):294
- McCord, M. C., Bloom, C. S., Chancer, Z. A., McNeill, T. H., Schauwecker, P. E. Ability of NMDA and non-NMDA receptor antagonists to inhibit seizure-induced excitotoxic cell death in young and aged mice. Program No. 451.5. 2008 Neuroscience Meeting Planner. Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2008. Online