Assistant Professor (Adjunct Faculty I I)
Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
(410) 328-7725 (Frenkel Bldg - PT Outpatient Clinic)
Education and Training
1973 College of Wooster, Wooster, OH BA Urban Studies
1979 University of Maryland, Baltimore BS Physical Therapy
1982 New York University MA Physical Therapy
1998 University of Maryland PhD Biomechanics, Dissertation: Biomechanical properties of the axial interosseous ligament and surface topology of the human sacroiliac joint. Dissertation Abstracts International, 59 (6), 2626, Dec., 1998.
Active New York
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
1. Benjamin, S., Flood, J., Bechtel, R. and Alon, G. (2007) Measurement of soft tissue
temperature and impedance following the application of transdermal direct current.
Physiotherapy 93: 114-120.
2. Bechtel, R., Cleland, J., and Smith, B. (2006) Researchers and Clinicians: A Growing
Divide or Narrowing Gap? J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 36(7):451-461.
3. *Benjamin, S., Flood, J. and Bechtel, R. (2005) Isokinetic testing prior to and following
anterior lumbar interbody fusion surgery: a pilot study. Isokinetics and Exercise
Science 13(2): 159-162.
4. *Bechtel, R (2001) Physical characteristics of the axial interosseous ligament of the
human sacroiliac joint. The Spine Journal 1 (4): 255-259.
5. * Bechtel, R & Caldwell, G. (1994) The influence of task and angle on torque
production and muscle activity at the elbow. J Electromyog and Kines 4(4): 195-204.
6. * Herzenberg, J.E., Scheufele, L.L., Paley, D., Bechtel, R, & Tepper, S. (1994)
Knee range of motion in isolated femoral lengthening. Clin Orthop and Related Res,
7. * Colangelo, G.A., Hobart, D.J., Belenky, M.M. & Bechtel, R. (1991) Elbow angle
during a simulated task requiring fine psychomotor control". Journal of Dental Education
MAJOR INVITED SPEECHES
1. * Bechtel, R. (November, 1998) Biomechanical examination of the 'posterior axial'
ligament of the sacroiliac joint - presented to the 3rd Interdisciplinary World
Congress on Low Back and Pelvic Pain, Vienna, Austria.
2. * Bechtel, R. (1994) The effect of selected parameters of muscle energy technique
on paraspinal EMG in healthy individuals - presented to the International
Society of Electromyographic Kinesiology (ISEK), Charleston, SC.
3. *Bechtel, R. (1987) Frequency spectrum analysis in idiopathic scoliosis -
presented to the International Society of Electromyographic Kinesiology (ISEK),
4. * Bechtel, R. (1982, 1983) Toward a prognostic index for idiopathic scoliosis -
presented to the American Physical Therapy Associations of New York and California.
1. Bechtel, R. (March, 2011) "Eclectic Manual Techniques for Management of the Patient
with Orthopedic Dysfunction." - presented for American Physical Therapy Association
of Maryland, at Franklin Square Hospital, March 5, 2011.
2. Bechtel, R., Benjamin, S. (October 2009) "Exercises to improve multifidus recruitment
in rehabilitation" - poster presented at the AAOMPT National Conference, Crystal City
Virginia, October 16-18, 2009.
3. Auburn, A., Benjamin, S., and Bechtel, R. (May 2009) "Prolotherapy for pelvic ligament
pain: a case report", Prolotherapy Journal.
4. Bechtel, R. Benjamin, S. and Liu, W. (November 2007) "Multifidus inhibition in an elite
cyclist" - poster presented at the 6th Interdisciplinary World Congress on Low Back and
Pelvic Pain, Barcelona, Spain, November 2007.
5. Bechtel, R., Benjamin, S. (October, 2006) "Rehabilitation after Artificial Disc
Replacement - an evidence-based guide" (Red Bank, New Jersey).
6. Bechtel, R. (July, 2004) "Antidote Exercises to Protect the Back" - presented to School
of Nursing standardized patients (Baltimore, MD).
7. Bechtel, R. (September, 2002) "Intrinsic factors in Low Back Pain" - presented as part
of Doctor's Community Hospital's medical inservice program (Landover, Maryland).
8. Bechtel, R. (November, 2001) "Intrinsic factors in Low Back Pain" - presented as part
of Laurel Regional Hospital's medical inservice program (Laurel, Maryland).
9. Anderson, Bechtel, et aI., (March, 2001) "Medical & Complementary Management of
low Back Pain" - sponsored by the University of Maryland Physical therapy Alumni
10. Bechtel, R., Hamilton, C. (October, 1995) "Spinal Manipulation from Cyriax to
Paris" - presented at the annual meeting of the Maryland State Chapter of the APT A.
11. Bechtel, R., Harvey, L., & Waller, S. (November, 1995) "Orthopedic Physical
Therapy in Trauma" - Workshop at University Castelo Branco, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
12. Anderson, P., DeDeyne, P., & Bechtel, R. (March,1994) "Clinical Anatomy
Review: The Shoulder" - sponsored by the University of Maryland Physical Therapy
13. Anderson, P., & Bechtel, R. (April, 1993) "Clinical Anatomy Review: The Lumbar Spine,
Pelvis and Hip" - sponsored by the University of Maryland Physical Therapy Alumni
Benjamin, S., Bechtel, R., and Conroy, V. (2011). "Cram Sessions in Functional Anatomy: A
Handbook for Students and Clinicians". Slack Incorporated.
Manual Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Frenkil Outpatient Rehabilitation Service, UMMC
Staff Physical Therapist - 20 patient visits/week, 20% FTE
Recent continuing education courses for Hospital staff and APTA of Maryland (see below) on
manual techniques for patient management.
HONORS AND AWARDS
1979 B.S. with Honors in Physical Therapy Research - University of Maryland Physical Therapy Dept.
1990 Faculty of the Year, University of Maryland Physical Therapy Dept.
2003 Named "Health Care Professional Hero" by Maryland Daily Record.
2007 Named to "Who's Who Among America's Teachers 2006-2007"
2011 Faculty of the Year, UMSOM Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science
2011 Alumni of the Year, UMSOM Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science
MEMBERSHIP IN SCIENTIFIC/PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
1979 - present American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), Section on Orthopedics
1979 - present Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
1981 - present Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society
1990 - present American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
1998 - present American Society of Biomechanics
2010 - present North American Spine Society
1991 - 1993; Admissions Committee - Department of Physical Therapy
2006-2011 Admissions Committee - Department of Physical Therapy
1993 - 2002 Clinical Executive Committee - Physical Therapy Department
1998 - 1999 Chair, Technology sub-committee
1998 - 2001 Advisory Committee - Physical Therapy Department
2000 - 2002 Chair, Technology Committee, Physical Therapy Department
2000 - 2005 Member, SOM Clinical Services Standards Committee
2003 - 2005 Alternate - School of Medicine Council
2003 - 2005 Member, School of Medicine Judicial Review Board
1999 - 2011 Associate Member, University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate Faculty
1999 - 2011 Campus Fire Marshall
2000 - 2011 Special Member, Graduate Faculty, University of Maryland, College Park
2001 - 2011 Member, Health Sciences and Human Services Library Advisory
2002 - 2011 Coordinator - Special topics courses, post-professional DScPT
LOCAL AND NATIONAL SERVICE
1998 - 2000 Chair, Education Committee, Maryland Chapter, APTA
2002 - 2009 Department Liaison to Board of Directors, Maryland Chapter, APT A
1999 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Physical Therapy
2000 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy
2005 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
2008 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Journal of Biomechanics
2008 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise
2009 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics
2010 - present Ad-Hoc reviewer, Health Resources Administration - Geriatric Academic
TEACHING SERVICE 2000-2011
ENTRY-LEVEL OPT PROGRAM
DPTE 511 Basic Science Block I - lectures & labs (kinesiology)
50 students, 12 contact hours, 5 hours preparation
DPTE 512 Professional Issues I - lectures (Research Basics for Physical Therapists)
50 students, 6 contact hours, 5 hours preparation
DPTE 514 Basic Science Block III -lectures & labs (biomechanics)
50 students, 15 contact hours, 7.5 hours preparation
DPTE 516 Medical Issues 1- Course Coordinator-lectures & labs, organize seminars
50 students, 12 contact hours, 90 hours preparation
DPTE 521 Medical issues 11- Coordinator of Evidence-Based Practice Seminars
50 students, 6 contact hours, 5 hours preparation
DPTE 522 Musculoskeletal Block I -Course Coordinator - lectures & labs, organize research
50 students, 9 contact hours, 26 hours preparation
DPTE 525 Musculoskeletal Block II - Course Coordinator - lectures & labs, organize research
50 students, 120 contact hours, 5 hours preparation
POST-PROFESSIONAL DSCPT PROGRAM (2004-2011)
DPTP 631 Capstone Project - Advising students for capstone project
4 students, 12 online hours, 12 hours preparation (reading, correcting)