Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy (CFS), 725 West Lombard St., Room N263
Education and Training
- BS, Biology and Chemistry, 1991, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- MS, Chemistry, 1994, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- M.Phil., Fluorescence Spectroscopy, 1995, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India
- PhD., 2000, Fluorescence Sensing, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, Spectroscopy, 2002, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.
- Frontier Research Scientist, 2002, Spectroscopy Photodynamics Research Center, RIKEN, Sendai, Japan.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 2003, Fluorescence Sensing, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA.
Dr. Badugu is an assistant professor of Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. CFS is well-funded state-of-art fluorescence institute with instruments including, ensemble and single-molecule fluorescence spectroscopes, fluorescence lifetime and lifetime imaging systems, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy systems along with NSOM, AFM, and sputtering and vapor deposition instruments. Dr. Badugu has been actively involved in the development of one- dimensional photonic crystals (1DPCs), Tamm structures with enhanced and/or directional emission and metallic structures for Metal-Enhanced Fluorescence (MEF) and Surface Plasmon-Coupled Emission (SPCE), suitable for bio-sensing, and sequencing applications. He is also developing materials/probes for fluorescence sensing applications. He is an author of over 100 peer-reviewed publications, multiple book chapters and has several U.S. Patents.
Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Fluorescence Sensing, Radiative Decay Engineering, Plasmon-Controlled Fluorescence, Plasmonic Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology.
Enhanced and Directionally Coupled Emission
- Ramachandram Badugu,and Joseph. R. Lakowicz, Plasmon-Controlled Fluorescence Methods and Applications, In Encyclopedia of Spectroscopy and Spectrometry, 3rd Edition, Eds. John Lindon, John Holmes and George Tranter, 2016 Elsevier Inc.
- Ramachandram Badugu,Henryk Szmacinski, Krishanu Ray, Emiliano Descrovi, Serena Ricciardi, Douguo Zhang, Junxue Chen, Yiping Hou and Joseph. R. Lakowicz, Metal-Dielectric Waveguides for High Efficiency Coupled Emission. ACS Photonics. 2, (2015), 810-815.
- Sharmistha Dutta Choudhury, Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz, Directing fluorescence with plasmonic and photonic structures. Acc. Chem. Res. 48, (2015), 2171-80.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Emiliano Descrovi, Joseph R. Lakowicz, Radiative decay engineering 7: Tamm state-coupled emission using a hybrid plasmonic-photonic structure, Anal. Biochem., 445, (2014), 1-13.
- Ramachandram Badugu and Joseph R. Lakowicz, Tamm State-Coupled Emission: Effect of Probe Location and Emission Wavelength. J Phys Chem C. 118, (2014), 21558-21571.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Kazimierz Nowaczyk, Emiliano Descrovi, and Joseph R. Lakowicz, Radiative decay engineering 6: Fluorescence on one-dimensional photonic crystals, Anal. Biochem., 442, (2013), 83-96.
- Krishanu Ray, Ramachandram Badugu, Henryk Szmacinski, and Joseph. R. Lakowicz Several hundred-fold enhanced fluorescence from single fluorophores assembled on silver nanoparticle-dielectric-metal substrate. Chem. Commun. 51, (2015), 15023-6.
- Sharmistha Dutta Choudhury, Ramachandram Badugu, Krishanu Ray, Joseph R. Lakowicz Silver–Gold Nanocomposite Substrates for Metal-Enhanced Fluorescence: Ensemble and Single-Molecule Spectroscopic Studies, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116 (2012) 5042–5048.
- Henryk Szmacinski, Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz, Fabrication and characterization of planar plasmonic substrates with high fluorescence enhancement J. Phys. Chem. C, 114, (2010) 21142–21149.
- Jian Zhang, Ramachandram Badugu, and Joseph R. Lakowicz, Fluorescence Quenching of CdTe Nanocrystals by Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles in Aqueous Solution, Plsasmonics,3 (2008) 3-11.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Yordan Kostov, Govind Rao and Leah Tolosa Development and Application of an Excitation Ratiometric Optical pH Sensor for Bioprocess Monitoring, Biotech. Prog., 24, (2008) 1393-1401.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz, Chris D. Geddes, Ophthalmic glucose monitoring using disposable contact lenses, in Reviews in Fluorescence 2005, Chris D Geddes and Joseph R. Lakowicz, (Eds.), Kluwer Academic / Plenum Publishers, 2005, Vol. 2, pp 363-398.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Fluorescence sensor design for transition metal ions: The role of the PIET interaction efficiency, J. Fluoresc., 15, (2005) 71-83.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes, Glucose sensing contact lens: From bench top to patient, Curr. Opin. Biotech.,16, (2005)100-107.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes, Enhanced-fluorescence cyanide detection at physiologically lethal levels: Reduced ICT based signal transduction, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 127, (2005) 3635-3641.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes Anion sensing using quinolinum boronic acid probes, Curr. Anal. Chem.,1, (2005)157-170.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes, Development of smart contact lenses for Ophthalmic glucose monitoring, Topics in Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Eds. Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes, Vol. 11 (2005) pp399-427.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Joseph R. Lakowicz and Chris D. Geddes, The non-invasive continuous monitoring of physiological glucose using a monosaccharide-sensing contact lens, Anal. Chem., 76 (2004) 610-618.
- Mitsuo Kira and Ramachandram Badugu, Photochemistry of oligosilanes and polysilanes, In Hand Book of Photochemistry and Photobiology, Eds. H.S. Nalwa and M. S. A. Abdel-Mottaleb, American Scientific Publishers (ASP) 2003, Vol. 1, Chapter 3, p 83.
- Ramachandram Badugu, Development of efficient fluorosensors for transition metal ions by tuning of photoinduced intramolecular electron transfer (PIET) communication between the components, Chem. Lett. (2002) 52.
Back focal plane imaging
- Ruxue Wang, Hongyan Xia, Douguo Zhang, Junxue Chen, Liangfu Zhu, Yong Wang, Erchan Yang, Tianyang Zang, Xiaolei Wen, Gang Zou, Pei Wang, Hai Ming, Ramachandram Badugu, Lakowicz, Joseph R. Bloch surface waves confined in one dimension with a single polymeric nanofibre. Nature Communications (2017), 8, 14330
- Liangfu Zhu, Douguo Zhang, Ruxue Wang, Pei Wang, Hai Ming, Ramachandram Badugu, Luping Du, Xiaocong Yuan, and Joseph R. Lakowicz, Metal-Dielectric Waveguides for High Efficiency Fluorescence Imaging. J Phys Chem C. 119, (2015), 24081-24085.
- Ruxue Wang, Douguo Zhang, Liangfu Zhu, Xiaolei Wen, Junxue Chen,Cuifang Kuang, Xu Liu, Pei Wang, Hai Ming, Ramachandram Badugu, and Joseph R. Lakowicz, Selectable Surface and Bulk Fluorescence Imaging with Plasmon-Coupled Waveguides. J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, (2015), 22131-22136.
- Douguo Zhang, Ramachandram Badugu, Yikai Chen, Sisheng Yu, Peijun Yao, Pei Wang, Hai Ming and Joseph R Lakowicz. Back focal plane imaging of directional emission from dye molecules coupled to one-dimensional photonic crystals. Nanotechnology. 25, (2014) 145202.