Scholars will participate in the full range of summer research training activities sponsored by the Office of Student Research (OSR) of UM School of Medicine, including research-related training, the three major events, the seminar series, and many other activities and events. Scholars will have many opportunities to interact with other undergraduate, medical, graduate, and other health professional students, and faculty in various summer research programs and settings at UMB. Students are also required to submit a final report on their research after the end of the program.
The OSR programming for UM SOM research programs for summer 2019 will begin on May 28 and end on July 26, 2019.
Mandatory Three Major Events
- Orientation (May 28 & 29) - including Ethics Panel
- Mid-Summer Research Retreat (June 27)
- Student Research Forum (July 26)
Summer Seminar Series on Biomedical Research
- Weekly 1-hour seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings
- Approximately 11-13 seminars will be scheduled
- Require attendance of at least 80% of the seminars.
- Presentation Workshop
- Brown Bag Lunches
- Focus Groups
- Special Seminars and Symposiums
- Ice Cream Social
Research Presentation Opportunities
Scholars will present their research at the UM SOM's Student Research Forum at the conclusion of the program, and may also present their work at the UMCP Bioscience Research Technology Review Day in the fall or at the UMCP Undergraduate Research Day in the following spring. Scholars may also be invited to present at additional UMB research events.
More Information about the Program
- Program Details
- Summer 2019 Program
- UM Scholars Program Main Page
- Program Purpose and Goals
- Contact Information
- 2018 Program Projects List
For questions regarding the program or the application process, please use the Ask UM Scholars form.