The NIH and American Asociation of Medical Colleges and major institutions have recognized that certain persons from some groups and backgrounds and also geographies, are under-represented in science and medicine. Bold initiatives have been implemented to enrich and diversify science and medicine. Hence, all eligible and qualified persons, including those from diverse backgrounds, are strongly encouraged to apply to UM Scholars.
See definitions of underrepresented in medicine by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and description of groups underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social sciences and definition of individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Institution and Year of Study
University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) undergraduate students currently in their second or third year of studies (Sophomore or Junior).
Majoring in any science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field.
Minimum GPA of 3.2 (cumulative) with preference for strong science performance. GPA of 3.5 or greater preferred.
Application Deadline: February 4, 2019, 11:59pm EST
Anticipated Notification of Decision: Late March to mid-April 2018
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all materials are submitted before the deadline. Only complete applications will be considered.
A complete application packet must include the following.
The form will ask you to provide the following.
- Personal information, academic information, and short essays
Please upload a photo of yourself, maximum files size 50 KB (JPEG file preferred) similar to passport photos.
- Biosketch Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume - Upload a CV or a resume. CV is preferred. Please follow the documents provided.
- Current transcript - Upload an unofficial transcript. An official transcript may be requested after the applicant is accepted into the program.
- Recommender's names, titles, and email addresses (2 required recommendations, up to 2 optional additional recommendations)
Recommendation Form from two recommendersContact your recommenders as soon as possible.
Please be mindful that recommenders need some time to prepare a recommendation for you. It is recommended that you inform your recommenders at least a month in advance and follow up periodically to make sure that their recommendation is submitted by the deadline.
- Request recommendations from at least two recommenders
- Please provide them with the link to the online Recommendation Form and make sure that the required recommendations are submitted by the application deadline.
- Your recommenders will be asked to follow the two step process: 1) register the entry and then 2) continue to the provided unique link to complete the entry (the unique link will allow the completion of the form in more than one sitting).
- Notes regarding recommendations
- Two required recommendations, up to two additional optional recommendations.
- Recommenders should be faculty members or advisors, or past research mentors or supervisors. Choose recommenders who know you well and could speak to your character, strengths, and abilities. Recommenders who have interacted with you within the past two years are preferred.
- The two required recommendations should not come from current graduate students or postdoctoral fellows. You are welcome to request additional recommendations from a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow as optional recommendations.
You will receive an automatic notification email after a recommender has submitted a recommendation for you. Please make sure your recommenders have your correct email address.
More Information about the Program
- Program Details
- Program Activities
- Summer 2019 Program
- UM Scholars Program Main Page
- Program Purpose and Goals
- Contact Information
- 2018 Program Projects List
For questions regarding the program or the application process, please use the Ask UM Scholars form.