PRISM students will participate in the full range of summer research training activities sponsored by the Office of Student Research (OSR) of UM School of Medicine, including research-related training, the three major events, the seminar series, and many other activities and events. Students will have many opportunities to interact with other medical, graduate, undergraduate, and other health professional students, and faculty in various summer research programs and settings at UMB. Students are also required to submit a final report on their research after the end of the program.
The OSR programming for UM SOM research programs for summer 2024 will begin on May 28 and end on July 26, 2024.
Mandatory Three Major Events
- Orientation (May 28 & 29) - including Ethics Panel
- Mid-Summer Research Retreat (June 26)
- Student Research Forum (July 24 & 25)
Summer Seminar Series on Biomedical Research
- Weekly 1-hour seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings
- Approximately 10-12 seminars will be scheduled
- Require attendance of at least 80% of the seminars in this series.
Research Education and Development Activities
Examples from prior years
- Data Analysis Workshops
- Biostatistics Consultations
- Writing Workshop
- Presentation Workshop
- Focus Groups
- Networking/group activities
Research Presentation Opportunities
PRISM students will present their research at the UM SOM's Student Research Forum at the conclusion of the program.
Students are strongly encouraged to participate in Medical Student Research Day in the fall.
High quality, PRISM-funded student research have often been presented at national and international scientific meetings and have been recognized for prestigious awards.