PRISM students will participate in the full range of summer research training activities sponsored by the Office of Student Research (OSR) of UM School of Medicine, including research-related training, the three major events, the seminar series, and many other activities and events. Students will have many opportunities to interact with other medical, graduate, undergraduate, and other health professional students, and faculty in various summer research programs and settings at UMB. Students are also required to submit a final report on their research after the end of the program.
Currently, potential all-virtual enrichment programming is being planned for summer 2021. Depending on developments under COVID-19 circumstances, a few smaller in-person social activities may possibly be included. Saftey of the students, faculty, and staff will be a priority for the program.
The OSR programming for UM SOM research programs for summer 2021 will begin on June 1 and end on July 30, 2021.
Mandatory Three Major Events
- Orientation (June 1 & 2) - including Ethics Panel
- Mid-Summer Research Retreat (June 30)
- Student Research Forum week (July 26-30)
Summer Seminar Series on Biomedical Research
- Weekly 1-hour seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings
- Approximately 11-13 seminars will be scheduled
- Require attendance of at least 80% of the seminars in this series.
Research Education and Development Activities
Examples from past year
- Overview of Immunology Short Course
- Bioinformatics Short Courses: Bioinformations and R-Studio, Phython Workshop
- Writing and Communication Workshop Series
Other Seminar Series, Special Seminars, and Symposiums
Examples from past year
- Basics in Clinical and Epidemiological Research series
- Basics in Biomedical and Scientific Research series
- Technology, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship Week series
- Special Seminar: COVID-19 with Coronavirus Expert Dr. Matt Frieman
- Presentation Workshop
- Focus Groups
- Other optional virtual or in-person social activities, depending on COVID-19 circumstances
Research Presentation Opportunities
PRISM students will present their research at the UM SOM's Student Research Forum at the conclusion of the program.
Students are strongly encouraged to participate in Medical Student Research Day in the fall.
High quality, PRISM-funded student research is often selected to be presented at national and international scientific meetings and have been recognized for prestigious awards.