Student Research Funding
The Office of Student Research aims to encourage and support students in their pursuit of research and scholarly activities. To that end, limited funds are available each year for students who are presenting their research at a national or international conference, who have published a manuscript in a peer-reviewed journal, or who are awarded a competitive external fellowship to support summer research.
Please see our 2023 Flyer and review the details below for information on eligibility and complete application instructions.
Types of Available Funding
Presentation awards are designed to help offset a portion of the cost of attendance and travel for students who will present their research at a national or international conference. Funds are limited each year and are available on a first come, first served basis.
Up to $400 will be provided to cover:
- The cost of registering to attend the conference.
- The cost of traveling to the conference, if the event is both 1) hosted in person and 2) located more than 60 miles from UMB.
- Student must be the primary presenter of an original research project
- Students who are not presenting but are interested in attending a conference should contact the OSA for potential funding
- The work must be presented at a national or international conference
- Students may receive one presentation award per academic year (July-June)
- Presentation must result from research conducted while enrolled in UMSOM
Funds are limited every year, so early requests are encouraged. To initiate a funding request, please complete our Presentation Award Request Form.
Publication Recognition Awards
Publication Recognition Awards are designed to encourage and reward student research productivity. Students who were listed as first author on a peer-reviewed publication within the last year will be eligible to apply for a Publication Recognition Award.
Each Publication Recognition Award is $100.
- MS2-MS4 students are encouraged to apply
- Student must be listed as first author
- Manuscript must be published in a peer-reviewed journal
- Abstract publications at conferences are not eligible
- Manuscript must have been accepted for publication within the last year (August 2021 – July 2022)*
- Proof of acceptance is required
- Publication must result from research conducted while enrolled in UMSOM
- Publication Recognition Awards will be granted based on the total number of applications received, with priority given based on journal impact factor
*Manuscripts accepted for publication from August 2022 through July 2023 will be eligible for next year’s (Fall 2023) Publication Recognition Awards.
This year’s application will be open from January 6, 2023 – February 6, 2023.† Please complete the Publication Recognition Award Application to be considered for an award.
†Starting in the fall of 2023, the application window will be open from August-September.
External Fellowship Bonuses
External Fellowship Bonuses are designed to encourage and reward student research excellence. First-year students who apply to and are awarded an externally-funded research fellowship will be eligible to apply for an External Fellowship Bonus.
Each External Fellowship Bonus is $100.
- Student must be in their first year of medical school
- Eligible research fellowships involve a competitive application process and are funded through an external (non-UMB and non-SOM) source
- Programs hosted at UMB but funded through external means are eligible (e.g. SPORT, which is funded through the NIH)
- Programs funded by UMB departments or mentors (e.g. Rad-Onc fellowship) are not eligible
- Clinical observerships are not eligible
- Student must provide official proof of student’s acceptance into the fellowship/program
- Depending on the number of students who apply, students may be awarded more than one bonus (if they are accepted to more than one external fellowship)
This year’s application will be open from April 1, 2023 – May 1, 2023.