Advancement, Graduation & Dismissal
Students must meet the following requirements for advancement.
- Students must meet all UMB requirements for eligibility to register.
- Students must pass all required courses in Year One for advancement to Year Two. Students cannot advance to year two with an un-remediated failure, incomplete, or withdrawal in a required course.
- Students must pass all required courses in Year Two and take Step 1 of the USMLE (see below), for advancement to Year Three. Students cannot advance to Year Three with an un-remediated failure, incomplete, or withdrawal in a required course.
- Class of 2022: Students who receive a grade of F in Pathophysiology & Therapeutics I must repeat the course prior to starting Pathophysiology & Therapeutics II.
- Class of 2023: Students who receive a grade of F in Pathophysiology & Therapeutics I may progress to Pathophysiology & Therapeutics II with remediation after the academic year as noted below.
- In the event that a student fails USMLE Step 1, the student may not advance to the next clerkship until Step 1 has been retaken. In the event of a second failure of Step 1, the student cannot resume progress toward graduation until a passing Step 1 score has been verified. With any failure of Step 1, the student must meet with the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Academic Support. (For additional Step 1 failures, see Dismissal.)
- A student with two (2) or more concurrent un-remediated failures of clerkship NBME examinations must interrupt clinical rotations until all failed exams have been successfully remediated. The student must meet with the Office of Student Affairs regarding the scheduling ramifications of this remediation and possible effects on residency planning.
- All required clerkships must be completed six months prior to the expected date of graduation.
- A student cannot advance and must repeat the entire academic year in any of the following circumstances:
- Class of 2022
- Two (2) non-passing grades within the Year 2 required curriculum (excluding Foundations of Disease).
- Class of 2023
- Two (2) non-passing grades within the Year 1 required curriculum (excluding FRCT). A single failure must be remediated over the summer with formal preparatory work and exam in junction with Office of Academic Support.
- Three (3) non-passing grades within the Year 2 required curriculum (excluding Foundations of Disease). Any failure must remediate over the summer with formal preparatory work and exam in junction with Office of Academic Support.
- All classes
- Two (2) non-passing grades within the requisite Year 3 curriculum.
- Two (2) non-passing grades within the requisite Year 4 curriculum.
- The Advancement Committee shall consider requiring repetition of part or all of an entire academic year in any of the following circumstances:
- Failure to adhere to technical and professionalism standards.
- Persistently poor academic performance where repetition is deemed in the best interest of the student.
- Other circumstances where repetition is deemed in the best interest of the student.
- Students must meet all requirements for the degree of Doctor of Medicine within six calendar years. This includes leaves of absence but excludes time spent in pursuit of a combined degree. The Advancement Committee in coordination with the Office of Student Affairs may recommend that the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) grant an exception to this limit. If a student requires more than three years to complete the pre-clerkship phase of the curriculum or more than three years to complete the clinical portion of the curriculum, the Advancement Committee must review the student’s complete record and must tender a recommendation to the CAO as to whether the student will be allowed to continue in medical school.
Students must meet the following requirements for graduation.
- Requirements for all four years of the medical education program must be completed within the parameters of the M.D. curriculum.
- Students must complete all requirements for Year Three of medical school at least six months prior to an anticipated graduation date in order to graduate at that time unless an exception has been granted by the Advancement Committee.
- Students must complete all academic requirements for Year Four at least one week before the date of graduation.
- Students must complete the following administrative requirements:
- meet with a student affairs dean about post-graduate plans and writing of the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- have an exit interview with the University Student Financial Assistance if applicable
- satisfy any outstanding UMB obligations
- Students must resolve all conditions of probation before graduation.
- Students must take both USMLE Step 2 CK and USMLE Step 2 CS before graduation.
Students graduating in December may participate in graduation exercises in May of the following year but are not eligible to be included in May of the previous year. Students graduating in July may be permitted to participate in graduation in May of the current year.
A student shall be dismissed under any of the following circumstances:
- Grades of F in two (2) required pre-clerkship courses (excluding FRCT Seminar and Foundations of Disease)
- A non-passing grade upon repeating a course in the requisite Year 3 or Year 4 curriculum
- Three (3) failures of USMLE Step 1
- Violating the terms of probation
The Advancement Committee shall consider dismissal of a student under any of the following circumstances:
- A non-passing grade in a subinternship, ICM 4, or FRCT Scholarly Project
- Non-passing grades in any two rotations in the clinical years
- Failure to adhere to technical or professionalism standards
A student who is dismissed from school must immediately withdraw from all coursework. A student may appeal the dismissal to the Dean by submitting a written request within 14 days of the official notice of dismissal. The Dean may appoint an Appeals Committee for advice (see the Appeals Process). In rare circumstances, students may be permitted to resume coursework pending the Dean’s decision.
Approved: CCC, August 27, 2019
Last Revision: September 9, 2019