Diversity, Inclusion and Women's Empowerment Program
The University of Maryland Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences recognizes that social, environmental and structural injustices impact health and health care quality.
The mission of our Diversity, Inclusion and Women’s Empowerment Program is to combat these injustices by applying a health equity lens to the areas of clinical care, education and research in order to better care for, engage with, and advocate for the communities we serve.
Department of Ob/Gyn Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee
Members of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee include faculty, residents and administrative staff working together to carry out the mission of the Diversity, Inclusion and Women’s Empowerment Program and the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences.
Work Environment Subcommittee
- Developing initiatives to foster an environment of greater inclusivity
- Recruitment and retention of faculty, residents and staff from diverse backgrounds, and those under-represented in medicine
- Creating educational programs for faculty, residents, students and staff on diversity, equity, inclusion and advocacy in obstetrics and gynecology
- Incorporating discussion about health equity into education throughout the department
Clinical Care Subcommittee
- Guiding departmental committees in developing and ensuring policies and procedures address and take into account equity, diversity and inclusion
- Fostering an environment of inclusivity for the diverse population of patients and the community we serve