UMMS/UMMC Medicine Resources
Dear UMMS Senior Leaders:
You are receiving this communication as part of the UMMS Unified Command. We will continue to send updates with timely and relevant information on the System approach to addressing preparedness and response to COVID-19 for as long as the situation warrants. Given the rapidly evolving nature of this incident, the frequency of communication will likely increase. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. David Marcozzi, UMMS Incident Commander for this event, at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Update for UMMS Senior Leadership – 3/8/20
Global Status Report
- As of 3/8/20 @ 8:03 pm, there are 109,839 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 3,803 deaths and 60,695 recovered individuals worldwide
- There are 537 confirmed cases in the US, and 21 deaths.
- There are 5 confirmed cases in Maryland, including one at an UMMS hospital. A total of 57 people have been tested for COVID-19 in the state, with 52 negative tests.
COVID-19 Incident Command Structure
- UMMS had its first confirmed COVID-19 patient today.
- Todd Crocco is the new Operations Section Chief, replacing Craig Carmichael.
- The UMMS Incident Commander held a weekend call with all Incident Commanders on the policy development related to: UMMS Visitor Restrictions.
- UMMS ICS is developing a protocol for policy development to allow for a standardized, inclusive process when feasible.
- UMMS-UMB are drafting a policy document defining travel restrictions, and meeting and event guidance for all staff, students and faculty.
- COVID-19 Response Grand Rounds for managers and above across UMMS System is set for 3/10. See registration link.
- Capacity management/surge plan policies in progress
- DocHalo account creation for leadership teams in process
- Developing scenarios for PPE usage and protocols depending upon supply constraints
- Developing recommendations regarding possible changes to elective surgery and non-acute appointments
- Continuing to coordinate with HR on communications with employees regarding leave and other policies
- Visitor Policy Package – policy, FAQs, scripting for patient care services, implementation plan and signage went to hospital incident commanders for review yesterday; feedback due today
- COVID-19 social media strategy with sample posts sent to hospital ICs yesterday; feedback due today
- Media coverage of US senator Ben Cardin’s press conference at the University of Maryland Medical Center on Friday:
o FOX 45
- PPE extended use and conservation plan draft in progress
- Discharge planning instructions finalized, awaiting approval and dissemination
- PUI screening algorithm finalized (attached) and awaiting approval and dissemination
- Best practices for PPE conservation are being shared across System
- Close monitoring of supply chain continues, with close coordination of hospital supply chain leads
- Track local and system wide operating expense associated with COVID-19
- Track and monitor capital project expense associated with COVID-19
- Coordinate with local hospitals to forecast staffing models and expense changes based on volume assumptions
This e-mail and any accompanying attachments may be privileged, confidential, contain protected health information about an identified patient or be otherwise protected from disclosure. State and federal law protect the confidentiality of this information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient; you are prohibited from using, disclosing, reproducing or distributing this information; you should immediately notify the sender by telephone or e-mail and delete this e-mail.