Remote Access - VPN
- VPN access is restricted to authorized users for use on Department of Medicine supported devices. For access, please submit an incident ticket.
***Please note that access to the SOM VPN is subject to removal without notice if unused.
After installation, please follow the bellow steps to connect to the VPN.
***You must first have an internet connection. If you need help connecting to a WiFi network prior to connecting to the VPN please submit a Service Desk incident so a technician can assist you.
Logging into the VPN before logging into windows (Pre Windows Login) guarantees the best "desktop" experience. You will always use your current SOM username and password and these steps to make sure your H and I drives map successfully.
- Save and close all applications as the system will require a restart.
- Double click the “Cisco AnyConnect” icon in the application launcher.
- If you do not see the icon please submit an incident ticket through the Service Desk including the computer/host name of your Department of Medicine supported device.
Launch VPN Before Login (Pre Windows Login)
- In lower right hand corner click the “Network Sign-In” button.
- Enter the VPN Server “vpn.som.umaryland.edu” if not already filled in then click Connect.
- For the Group select “SOM-MultiFactor”.
Enter your current SOM username and password.
For the Second Password type one of the following:
“push” – After you click OK, this will send an authentication verification prompt to your Duo Mobile App on your enrolled smartphone or tablet. Select “Approve” on your Duo Mobile App.
“sms” – After you click OK, you will receive a SMS message on the enrolled device with a Duo passcode. Enter this passcode into the “Duo Passcode” filed and then click OK.
“phone” – After you click OK, you will receive a phone call at the enrolled phone #. Follow the prompt to verify the authentication.
- Accept the Usage Policy.
- Once connected you will see the connection status icon in the lower right hand corner.
- Login to the device with your current SOM username and password.
Disconnect from VPN
- Double click “Cisco AnyConnect” icon in the application launcher or single click the icon in the system trey.
- Click Disconnect.