Community Health Worker Training Institute
The Maryland Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) Program is a Community Health Worker (CHW) Technical Assistance, Support, and Education Institute in the State of Maryland.
All three regionals AHECs have trained CHWs working across the state in hospitals, health departments, community-based agencies, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and within their own AHEC centers.
Core Competencies of CHW Training
The Core Competencies include the 9 proposed by the State’s CHW Advisory Committee:
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Cultural competency;
- Knowledge of local resources and system navigation;
- Advocacy and community capacity building skills;
- Care coordination skills;
- Teaching skills to promote healthy behavior change;
- Outreach methods and strategies;
- Ability to bridge needs and identify resources;
- Understanding of public health concepts and health literacy;
- Understanding of ethics and confidentiality issues;
- Ability to use and understand health information technology
The Maryland AHEC CHW curriculum encompasses a minimum of 120 hours of classroom training and 40 hours of a community-based field practicum. The MAHEC curriculum includes skills based on the recommendations of the CHWs Core Competencies (listed above).
Why Choose Us?
- Our curriculum is aligned with the 9 core competencies recommended by the State’s CHW Advisory Committee Meeting.
- Since 2013, our centers have trained over 300 CHWs who are employed in health departments, hospitals, community-based agencies, AHECs, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and many others.
- Our talented instructors represent an array of experiences in education, healthcare, and human services.
- The MAHEC Program Institute offers competitive pricing for groups and individuals.
Community Health Workers trained by the ESAHEC
For more information or to schedule a CHW Training in your region, please contact the following:
Central Maryland AHEC
827 Linden Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21201
Eastern Shore Region
Randy Holliday, MBA
GAIT Coordinator/CHW Lead Trainer
Eastern Shore AHEC
814 Chesapeake Drive
Cambridge Maryland 21613
Phone: 410-221-2600, ext. 112
Catie Wampole, MPA
Network Director, Mountain Health Alliance
39 Baltimore St., Suite 201
Cumberland, MD 21502
Phone: 301-777-9150, ext. 148