WIMS COVID19 Response
Today and for days to come, we will be a part of an enormous effort to fight an infection that has a name, but no cure and no vaccine. What we will be providing is supportive care – to patients, to colleagues and co-workers and to our friends and family.
WIMS is with you.
Today's Women in Medicine and Science join all the women who have served before us in difficult and trying times, many in the face of inequality and war.
We recognize that the emotional, physical and psychological burdens are already immense for many. Reach out to each other. Check in. Offer support.
Please see the following resources kindly compiled by Dr. John Allen in the Department of Medicine.
Share these. We are a team and strongest together.
- Fitbit is offering a 90-day free trial of their premium content, which includes Fitbit premium and/or Fitbit Coach. https://blog.fitbit.com
- The Peloton app now offers a 90 day free trial.
- Ekhart yoga is also offering 12 free yoga classes online due to the stress of COVID. You can sign up here https://relief.ekhartyoga.com
- Planet Fitness is offering free live workouts daily at 4 pm PT. You can follow theme at their facebook page.
- Les Mills is offering a number of free workouts during the pandemic. They offer Body Pump, Body combat, Barre, mindfulness, and cardio training. You can follow the link below to their temporary streaming page. https://watch.lesmillsondemand.com/at-home-workouts
- Fitness Blender offers 588 free workout videos online including a large number of HIIT workouts. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos
- There are also a number of YouTube channels that offer free workouts. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/youtube-fitness-channels-for-getting-in-shape/.
Mental Health –
- Calm blog offers a ton of mindfulness activities for free. https://blog.calm.com/take-a-deep-breath
- Yale is offering a free online course in how to be happier in your daily life. https://www.businessinsider.com
- Headspace. It has plenty of stress reduction meditations that are very applicable to right now. https://www.headspace.com
- Better Help. https://www.betterhelp.com
- SAMHSA has also offered a guide to self care during an infectious disease outbreak. https://store.samhsa.gov Additionally, they have offered resources for overcoming grief after a disaster scenario https://store.samhsa.gov
- The state of Maryland has a page of mental health resources you can check out. https://phpa.health.maryland.gov
- Check out Google’s Arts and Culture page to take virtual tours around famous architecture, museums, cultural sites, and more. https://artsandculture.google.com/
- You can now get Kindle Unlimited free for two months. https://www.amazon.com
- For the Star Trek fans out there, CBS all access is free for the next month. https://www.cbs.com
- Billboard is frequently updating a list of live streams and virtual concerts to watch. https://www.billboard.com
- The Metropolitan Opera is streaming performances nightly. https://www.metopera.org
- Download and read books online for free. https://www.cnet.com
- Watch TV and movies for free. https://www.cnet.com
- Want to go to the movies, but steering clear of crowds? NBC/Universal are streaming their new release from home. https://www.cnet.com
Staying Connected –
- Netflix party allows you to watch Netflix in sync with friends and offers a group chat tool. https://www.netflixparty.com
- WhatsApp is free and allows for video conferencing with 4 other people. https://faq.whatsapp.com
- FaceTime is a great option if your family and friends are on iPhone. FaceTime supports video chats with 32 other people simultaneously.
- Google Duo offers video calling to 8 other people. https://duo.google.com/about/
- Skype offers video calling for 8 other people https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype
You are amazing. If you forget, remind yourself of Maya Angelou’s words:
I’m a woman
Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
It’s in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need for my care.
’Cause I’m a woman
– Maya Angelou “Phenomenal Woman”
With great respect,
The Women in Medicine and Science Wellness Committee