Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology Faculty combine excellence with compassion to care for UMMC’s youngest patients, while providing evidence-based, high-quality care for infants, children, and adolescents from the time of the preoperative evaluation, throughout the operation, and during the recovery period. Fellowship-trained, sub-specialty board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists care for children at the UMMC’s Pediatric Surgery Center, a separate child and family-centered area designed to meet the special needs of the pediatric patient and their family members.
University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) contributes to the Mid-Atlantic area as one of only two hospitals in Maryland to offer anesthesiology services for pediatric cardiac procedures. The Division’s expertise in pediatric cardiovascular services allows UMMC to serve the smallest and most complex neonates with congenital heart defects.
Faculty care for neonates and children undergoing a wide variety of procedures including transplantation using various anesthetic techniques. The Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology provides pediatric anesthesiology support at off-site locations including radiation therapy and imaging. Our faculty work as part of a multidisciplinary team to promote safety and patient education utilizing new technology and minimally invasive surgery in the delivery of patient-centered care.
Our faculty is involved in on-going research which includes:
- Anesthesia for infants with single ventricle physiology
- Pediatric egg allergy and propofol - an induction agent used to provide anesthesia
- The use of dexmedetomidine to reduce emergence agitation
- Safety of dexmedetomidine sedation for patients with complex congenital heart disease
- The use of NIRS (near infrared spectroscopy) monitoring in pediatric abdominal surgical cases
- Compliance with fasting guidelines before surgery
- A collaboration with otolaryngologists on a study of perioperative complications in pediatric patients with sleep apnea
In addition to direct clinical care, Division faculty commit to providing superior pediatric anesthesiology education. All Anesthesiology residents rotate through the Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology for a minimum of three months throughout their training continuum. Instruction comes in a variety of forms:
- Monthly Journal Club
- Pediatric Intra-operative Lecture Series
- Simulation-based pediatric scenarios
- A didactic program for those in Clinical Anesthesia Years 1 & 2
- Board review for those in Clinical Anesthesia Year 3
- Stephanie L. Kahntroff, MD, Assistant Professor and Interim Director
- Monique Bellefleur, MD, Clinical Assistant Professor
- Yonmee Chang, MD, Assistant Professor
- Stephanie Elyse Jones, MD, Assistant Professor
- Teresa Niemiec, DO, Assistant Professor
- Anne Savarese, MD, FAAP, Assistant Professor
- Jenny J. Woo, MD, Assistant Professor