Family & Community Medicine
East Hall, 520 W. Lombard St, 2nd Floor
Education and Training
- Medicine, Free University Berlin, State Examination, 1996
- Doctorate, Humboldt University Berlin, 1999
- Social Medicine and Epidemiology, Habiltation dregree, 2006
- Berlin School of Economics, MBA, 2006
Claudia Witt is a medical doctor, epidemiologist and research methodologist who is internationally recognized for her work. She holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a focus on health care management. Her MBA thesis emphasized health economic evaluations. From May 2011 to April 2013 she served as the President of the International Society for Complementary Medicine Research (ISCMR), a professional, multidisciplinary, non-profit scientific organization that is devoted to fostering complementary and integrative medicine research. From the outset, Dr. Witt's career has been dedicated to patient-centered approaches to health care. Her research has made substantial contributions to the evidence on efficacy, effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and safety of complementary and integrative medicine. She is committed to the training of future generations of integrative medicine physicians and researchers; she developed the first postgraduate international summer school on clinical research methods in this field and published a research methodology book. Over the last 15 years, she has conducted a number of large trials with a total of over 50,000 patients and has published over 190 journal publications including papers in leading medical journals and several books and book chapters.
Clinical studies and comparative effectiveness research in complementary and integrative medicine, effect modifying factors, health economic evaluations, clinical research methodology, pain, cancer
- Witt C, Brinkhaus B, Jena S, Linde K, Streng A, Wagenpfeil S, Hummelsberger J, Walther H, Melchart D, Willich S. Acupuncture in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomised trial. The Lancet. 2005;366(9480):136-143.
- Berman BM, Langevin HH, Witt CM, Dubner R. Acupuncture for chronic low back pain. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010 Jul 29; 363(5):454-61.
- Witt CM, Aickin M, Cherkin D, Tao Che T, Elder C, Flower A, Hammerschlag R, Liu JP, Lao L, Phurrough S, Ritenbaugh C, Rubin Hullender L, Schnyer R, Wayne PM, Rafferty Withers C, Zhao-Xiang B, Young J, Berman BM, and Collaborators. Effectiveness guidance document (EGD) for Chinese medicine trials: a consensus document. Trials. 2014;15:169.
- Nierhaus T, Pach D, Huang W, Long X, Napadow V, Roll S, Liang F, Pleger B, Villringer A, Witt C. Differential cerebral response to somatosensory stimulation of an acupuncture point versus two non-acupuncture points measured with EEG and fMRI. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 2015;9:74.
- Witt CM, Außerer O, Baier S, Heidegger H, Icke K, Mayr O, Mitterer M, Roll S, Spizzo G, Scherer A, Thuile C, Wieser A, Schützler L. Effectiveness of an additional individualized multi-component complementary medicine treatment on health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients: a pragmatic randomized trial. Breast Cancer Res Treatment. 2015;149(2):449-460.
- Research Award of the Carstens Foundation, 2000
- Visiting Scholarship of The Institute for Integrative Health, 2011-present
- International Society for Complementary Medicine Research Award, 2016
- Medical doctor in a family medicine outpatient practice in Berlin, 1997-1998
- Medical doctor and scientist, Department of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics of the Charité-Universitätsmedizin – Berlin, 1997-2000
- Vice Director and head of the Division on Complementary Medicine, Department of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics of the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 2000 – 2012
- Professor of Medicine (endowed chair for complementary medicine by the Carstens Foundation), Department of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics of the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 2008-2013
- Acting Director, Department of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics of the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin of the Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 2012-2013
- Professor of Medicine and Chair for Complementary and Integrative Medicine, University of Zurich, 2014-present
- Director of the Institute for Complementary and Integrative Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, 2014-present
- Professor, Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2014-present