Adjunct Assistant Professor
Professional Building-UMMC Midtown Campus, 106
Education and Training
Medicine - University of Ghana Medical School - 1998
Masters of Public Health - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health - 2002
Residency in Internal Medicine - John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, IL - 2004 - 2007
Dr. Sowah received his medical education at the University of Ghana Medical School in Accra Ghana. He left Ghana in 2001 to study public health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, where he completed the MPH degree. After his MPH Degree he had the opportunity of doing his residency in internal medicine at the Cook County Hospital in Chicago, IL. In Cook County, Leonard learned and experienced the rudiments of providing quality health care to a largely uninsured and under-insured population. This experience sparked in him a fire that drove him to take an interest in Health Care Policy.
Dr. Sowah is an active member of the American College of Physicians and is very active in efforts by the College to advocate for legislation to improve the health care environment to the benefit of physicians and their patients. Dr. Sowah believes equity is an indispensible ingredient in providing quality health care and as a clinical preceptor works passionately to instill that belief in all his students. He was recently recognized by his students when he received the Alpha Omega Alpha, Volunteer Faculty Award. Dr. Sowah's research interest is in the influence of social and cultural environments on health outcomes. He is currently working on a project looking at how sex ratios within communities can impact HIV incidence rates. Dr. Sowah has presented his work at various national and international meetings.
Socioeconomic and Community Determinants of Health Outcomes, Anal cancer prevention
- Sowah LA, Buchwald UK, Riedel DJ, et al. Anal Cancer Screening in an Urban HIV Clinic Provider Perceptions and Practice. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (JIAPAC). Published online Auguts 25th, 2015
- Sowah, Leonard A*.; Turenne, Franck V.; Buchwald, Ulrike K.; Delva, Guesly; Mesidor, Romaine N.; Dessaigne, Camille G.; Previl, Harold; Patel, Devang; Edozien, Anthony; Redfield, Robert R.; Amoroso, Anthony. Influence of transportation cost on long-term retention in clinic for HIV patients in rural Haiti. JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 67(4):e123e130, December 1, 2014
- Sowah, Leonard Anang*, Sarah Busse, and Anthony Amoroso. "HIV, Tobacco Use, and Poverty: A Potential Cause of Disparities in Health Status by Race and Socioeconomic Status." Journal of health care for the poor and underserved 24, no. 3 (2013): 1215-1225
- Sowah, Leonard Anang*, Ashley Nicole Rock, and Anthony Amoroso. "Nontargeted HIV Screening in Emergency Departments." Archives of internal medicine 172, no. 6 (2012): 522-523
- Sowah LA*, Buchwald UK, Riedel DJ, Gilliam BL, Khambaty M, Fantry LE, Spencer DE, Taylor G, Skoglund M, Vardjan K, Amoroso A, Redfield RR. Anal Cancer Screening in An Urban HIV Clinic- Physician Perceptions and Practice. American Association of Cancer Research, New Horizons in Cancer Research: Harnessing Breakthroughs – Targeting Cures, October 10th, 2014, Shanghai, China
- Sowah LA*, Turrene F, Delva G , Mesidor N, Dessaigne C, Jean-Jacques, Previl H, Patel D, Amoroso A ,Redfield. R. An Evaluation of Distance and its Impact on Long-term Follow up Outcomes in a Rural HIV Clinic in Northern Haiti. The 14 Annual Institute of Human Virology International Meeting, October 14 17th 2012, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Theodore P*, Hooker C, Syphard E, Sowah LA, Forastiere A, Montgomery E, Mason D, Herman J, Yang S, Brock MV. Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in African Americans: A Clinicopathological Variant of Esophageal Cancer? 84th Annual Meeting, American Association of Thoracic Surgery, April 2004, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Sowah, Leonard*, Malcolm Brock, Anthony Alberg, Craig Hooker, Aneta Gramatikova, Julie Brahmer, Rex Yung, and Charles Rudin. "Socio-economic status and social isolation as determinants of survival in non-small cell lung cancer." Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 16, no. 11 Supplement (2007): B63-B63.
- Sowah LA*, Brahmer JR, Alberg A, Xu L, Hooker C, Yung RC, Rudin CM, Colvin LB, Ettinger DS, Brock, MV. Census Tract Level Socioeconomic Factors as a Determinant of Survival in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (Lung Cancer 46 Supplement 1, Oct. 2004)
- Cox E, Sowah LA, Chapter 38. Approach to Sexually Transmitted Infections. In Wright WF, (Ed) Essentials of Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2013 page 267. 1st ed. New York, Demos Medical Publishing, 2013.
- Husson J, Sowah LA, Chapter 40. Obstetric and Gynecology-Related Infections. In Wright WF, (Ed) Essentials of Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2013 page 299. 1st ed. New York, Demos Medical Publishing; 2013.
Internal Medicine and HIV Medicine