Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Vice Chair For Clinical Affairs
Chief, Vitreoretinal Service Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs Medical Director, University of Maryland Eye Associates
University of Maryland Professional Building 420
Education and Training
Bryn Mawr High School (Cum Laude)
B.S., Brown University (Magna Cum Laude)
M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Post Graduate Education and Training
- Transitional Intern, University of Pennsylvania
- Residency, Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship, Vitreoretinal Disease, New England Eye Center, Tufts University/ Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston
Dr. Lisa Schocket is an Associate Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs at the University of Maryland, Department of Ophthalmology. She also serves as the Chief of the Vitreoretinal Disease section. She specializes in the medical and surgical management of retinal diseases including diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, retinal vascular occlusions, retinal detachments, macular holes, and cataract complications.
After graduating magna cum laude from Brown University, she spent a year performing research at the National Institutes of Health. She then earned her medical degree at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Schocket trained in ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania/ Scheie Eye Institute. After residency, Dr. Schocket completed a surgical retina fellowship at Tufts University/ Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston.
Before joining University of Maryland, Dr. Schocket was in private practice in Baltimore for 9 years. There, she earned a reputation for caring for her patients while also providing the latest treatments available. Dr. Schocket has been actively involved in research throughout her career. Her work has appeared in journals such as Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, and Retina. Dr. Schocket has presented her research at both national and international meetings. She is board certified in Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Society of Retina Specialists and the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
retina, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, retinal vascular occlusion, cataract complications, macular hole, retinal detachment, epiretinal membrane
- Schocket LS, Grunwald JE, Tsang AF, DuPont J. Effect of Pregnancy on Retinal Hemodynamics in Diabetic Versus Nondiabetic Mothers. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1999;128: 477-484.
- Schocket LS, Grunwald JE, DuPont J. Effect of Oral Felodipine on Ocular Circulation. International Ophthalmology 1999;23(2):79-84.
- Schocket LS, Syed NA, Fine SL. Primary Adrenal Lymphoma with Metastases to the Eye. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2002;134(5):775-776.
- Schocket LS, Beaverson KL, Rollins IS, Abramson DH. Bilateral Retinoblastoma, Microphthalmia, and Colobomata in the 13q- Syndrome. Archives of Ophthalmology 2003; 121(6): 916-917.
- Schocket LS, Massaro MG, Volpe NJ, Galetta SL. Sequential Optic Nerve Infiltration in Central Nervous System Leukemia. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2003; 135(1): 94-96.
- Niknam RM, Schocket LS, Metelitsina TI, DuPont JC, Grunwald JE.: Effect of Hypertension on Foveolar Choroidal Hemodynamics. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2004; 88(10):1263-1265.
- Figueroa M, Schocket LS, DuPont J, Metelitsina TI, Grunwald JE. Effect of laser treatment for dry age-related macular degeneration on foveolar choroidal haemodynamics. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2004; 88(6):792-795.
- Schocket LS, Brucker AJ,Niknam RM,Grunwald JE, DuPont J, Brucker AJ. Foveolar Choroidal Hemodynamics in Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. International Ophthalmology. 2004; 25(2): 89-94.
- Schocket LS, Fine SL. Choroidal Melanoma: A Review. Focal Points: American Academy of Ophthalmology. June 2005.
- Scheufele TA, Witkin AJ, Schocket LS, Duker JS. Photoreceptor atrophy in acute posterior multifocal placoid pigment epitheliopathy. Retina 2005; 25(8):1109-1112.
- Schocket LS, Beaverson KL, Rollins IS, Abramson DH. Variable expression of ophthalmological findings in the 13q deletion syndrome- reply. Archives of Ophthalmology 2005; 123(1):128.
- Schocket LS, Scheufele TA, Witkin AJ, Duker JS. Bilateral macular holes inUsher Syndrome. Retina. 2006; 26(8):972-973.
- Figueroa M, Schocket LS, Dupont J, Metelitsina TI, Grunwald JE. Long-term effect of laser treatment for dry age-related macular degeneration on choroidal hemodynamics. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006 May;141(5):863-7.
- Schocket LS, Witkin AJ, Rogers AH, Baumal CR, Reichel E, Fujimoto JG. Ko, TH, Drexler W, Schumann JS, Duker JS. Ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography in patients with decreased vision after retinal detachment repair. Ophthalmology 2006; 113:666-672.
- Scott IU, Ip MS, VanVeldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Blodi BA, Fisher M, Chan CK, Gonzalez VH, Singerman LJ, Tolentino M; SCORE Study Research Group. A randomized trial comparing the efficacy and safety of intravitreal triamcinolone with standard care to treat vision loss associated with macular Edema secondary to branch retinal vein occlusion: the Standard Care vs Corticosteroid for Retinal Vein Occlusion (SCORE) study report 6. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;127(9):1115-28.
- Ip MS, Scott IU, VanVeldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Blodi BA, Fisher M, Singerman LJ, Tolentino M, Chan CK, Gonzalez VH; SCORE Study Research Group. A randomized trial comparing the efficacy and safety of intravitreal triamcinolone with observation to treat vision loss associated with macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusion: the Standard Care vs Corticosteroid for Retinal Vein Occlusion (SCORE) study report 5. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;127(9):1101-14.
- Scott IU, Oden NL, VanVeldhuisen PC, Ip MS, Blodi BA, Antoszyk AN; SCORE Study Investigator Group. SCORE Study Report 7: incidence of intravitreal silicone oil droplets associated with staked-on vs luer cone syringe design. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009 Nov;148(5):725-732.
- Haller JA, Bandello F, Belfort R Jr, Blumenkranz MS, Gillies M, Heier J, Loewenstein A, Yoon YH, Jacques ML, Jiao J, Li XY, Whitcup SM; OZURDEX GENEVA Study Group. Randomized, sham-controlled trial of dexamethasone intravitreal implant in patients with macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion. Ophthalmology. 2010 Jun;117(6):1134-1146.
- Campochiaro PA, Heier JS, Feiner L, Gray S, Saroj N, Rundle AC, MurahashiWY, Rubio RG; BRAVO Investigators. Ranibizumab for macular edema following branch retinal vein occlusion: six-month primary end point results of a phase III study. Ophthalmology. 2010 Jun;117(6):1102-1112.
- Haller JA, Bandello F, Belfort R Jr, Blumenkranz MS, Gillies M, Heier J, Loewenstein A, Yoon YH, Jiao J, Li XY, Whitcup SM; Ozurdex GENEVA Study Group, Li J. Dexamethasone intravitreal implant in patients with macular edema related to branch or central retinal vein occlusion twelve-month study results. Ophthalmology. 2011 Dec;118(12):2453-60.
- Aref AA, Scott IU, Oden NL, Ip MS, Blodi BA, VanVeldhuisen PC; SCORE Study Investigator Group. Incidence, Risk Factors, and Timing of Elevated Intraocular Pressure After Intravitreal Triamcinolone Acetonide Injection for Macular Edema Secondary to Retinal Vein Occlusion: SCORE Study Report 15. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Sep;133(9):1022-9.
- Margo JA, Schocket LS, Klima K, Johnson MA. Persistent retinal changes after intravitreal ocriplasmin. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Winter;10(1):48-51.
ACUTE RETINAL NECROSIS AFTER ADMINISTRATION OF ADALIMUMAB, A SYSTEMIC ANTITUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR ANTIBODY. Schechet SA, Garff K, Klima K, Campbell W, Schocket LS. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2016 Dec 16.
Specialize in surgical repair of retinal detachments and tears, macular holes, epiretinal membrane, complications of cataract surgery, and diabetic retinopathy. Medical retina expertise includes treatment of diabetes, vein occlusions, and macular degeneration.
Honors and Awards
1999 ARVO Travel Fellowship Grant Program, Retina Research Foundation/Joseph M. and Eula C. Lawrence Endowment
1996 Graduate Hospital Research Award
1994 Sigma Xi Society, Brown University
2016- present Interviewer, Brown University
2016 Volunteer, Project Homeless Connect
Professional Society Memberships
-American Society of Retina Specialists
-American Academy of Ophthalmology
-Maryland Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
-Medical Director, University of Maryland Eye Associates (UMEA)
-Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs, UMEA
-Board Member, University of Maryland Eye Associates
-Project Manager, Waterloo Satellite, UMEA
-Project Manager, McDonogh Satellite, UMEA
-Patient Satisfaction Officer, Department of Ophthalmology
-Chair, Glaucoma Selection Committee
-Retina Selection Committee
-Residency Selection Committee
-Named Lecture Speaker Selection Committee
-Editor, Current Ophthalmology Reports
-Reviewer, Retina Journal
-Allergan Advisory Board
-Women in Retina Advisory Board