Education and Training
1988 B.Sc., Physics, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
1991 M.Sc., Physics, Tribhvan University, Nepal
1995 Dip. R.P., Radiological Physics, Bombay University, India
1999 MSBS, Radiation Therapy, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH
2014 Ph.D., Physics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Dissertation title, “Reevaluation of the AAPM TG-43 Brachytherapy Dosimetry Parameters for an I-125 Seed, and the Influence of Eye Plaque Design on Dose Distributions and Dose-Volume Histograms”. Advisors: Janelle A. Molloy, PhD, and Mark J. Rivard, PhD
2003 Proxima Therapeutics GliaSite RTS training certificate
2004 Novoste Beta-Cath vascular brachytherapy training certificate
2004 American Board of Radiology (ABR), Therapeutic Radiological Physics
Dr. Prakash Aryal is an assistant professor in Radiation Oncology at University of Maryland. He obtained his master's degree in physics from Tribhuvan University, Nepal and post graduate degree in radiological physics from Bombay University, India. He came to United States in 1997 and obtained his master's degree in medical physics from Medical College of Ohio (now University of Toledo Medical Center) in 1999 and joined Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, MA as a medical physicist. His primary role was to supervise dosimetry section and guide dosimetrists for complex treatment plans. He moved to University of Kentucky in December 2000 as a staff physicist where he also obtained his PhD in physics. He was a director of brachytherapy and faculty member before joining University of Maryland. His primary research interests are in brachytherapy, Monte Carlo simulation, electrons, motion management and image guided radiation therapy (IGRT).
Brachytherapy, Monte Carlo Simulation, Motion Management, Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- W. Luo, M. Young, P. Aryal, E J. Johnson, J A. Molloy, “Development of aQuantitative Target Localizing and Tracking Method for IGRT” Med. Phys. 37 , 3153 (2010)
- W. Luo, P. Aryal, and M. Randall. “Calculation of Prescribed Dose for Permanent Implant with Cs-131 Using LQ Equation including Resensitization”. Med. Phys. 39 , 3811 (2012)
- W. Luo, J. Molloy, P. Aryal, J. Feddock and M. Randall, “Determination of prescription dose for Cs-131 permanent implants using the BED formalism including resensitization correction,” Med. Phys. 41, 024101 (2014)
- P. Aryal, J. A. Molloy, and M. J. Rivard, “A modern Monte Carlo investigation of the TG-43 dosimetry parameters for an 125I seed already having AAPM consensus data,” Med. Phys. 41, 021702-(1-10) (2014)
- C. E. Wooten, M. E. Randall, J. Edwards, P. Aryal, W. Luo and J. Feddock “Implementation and early clinical results utilizing Cs-131 permanent interstitial implants for gynecologic malignancies.” Gynecol Oncol. 133(2):268-73, May (2014)
- P. Aryal, J. A. Molloy, and M. J. Rivard, “Independent dosimetric assessment of the model EP917 episcleral brachytherapy plaque,” Med. Phys. 41, 092102 (2014).
- P. Aryal, J. A. Molloy, and M. J. Rivard, “Erratum: Independent dosimetric assessment of the model EP917 episcleral brachytherapy plaque” Med. Phys. 42, 3085 (2015)
- J. Feddock, C.E. Wooten, P. Aryal, “Integrating Permanent InterstitialBrachytherapy Using Cesium-131 into the Primary Management of Gynecologic Malignancies: Bringing Back the Old School” Brachytherapy (Impact Factor: 2.76). 05/2015; 14:S60
- W. Luo, A. Meacham, X. Xie, J. Li, P. Aryal, R. McGarry and J. Molloy, “Monte Carlo dose verification for lung SBRT with CMS/XiO superposition algorithm" Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express, Volume 2, Number 1, February 2016.
- Steber, C., DeMasi, J., Aryal, P., Randall, M.E. Feddock, J.M. "Initial Results of Outpatient Permanent Syed-Neblett Interstitial Implants Using Cesium-131 for Gynecologic Malignancies." International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 96, 2S (2016)
1. High and low dose rate brachytherapy (2000-present)
Perform treatment planning- tandem and ovoids, cylinder, Wright applicators, Capri applicators
Perform daily QA, quarterly HDR source exchange
Perform annual HDR and LDR QA
Perform interstitial gynecological Cs-131 implant, Syed implant with Ir-192
2. Supervisor of brachytherapy (2011-present)
Supervised of all the brachytherapy physics services in the department.
Developed and implemented HDR brachytherapy planning and double check procedures.
Provided safety training class for physicians, physicists, resident physician, nurses, and medical physics residents.
Commissioned and implemented Cs-131 for permanent implant for gynecological malignant tumors.
Commissioned VariSeed planning system with updated I-125 (model IAI-125A) dosimetry parameters.
Revised and implemented HDR/LDR QA procedures.
Commissioned prowess brachytherapy treatment planning system.
Implemented Ra-223 calibration and its safety procedures.
Performed several HDR/LDR plans.
3. Prostate brachytherapy (1999-present)
Perform treatment plans using Transrectal Ultra Sound Guided system.
Perform source ordering, receiving, assay, source loading, CT based post plans.
4. Machine QA (1999-present)
Responsible to supervise for daily therapist QA record of Varian LINAC machines
Responsible of monthly and annual QA of EX and Platinum Varian linear accelerators.
5. Total Body Irradiation (2000-present)
Commissioned Total Body Irradiation for EX and PLAT Varian machines
Responsible for treatment planning, and dose calculation
Responsible and supervise for compensator construction
6. 4D CT acquisition (2010-present)
Perform QA for 4D CT acquisition
Perform 4DCT acquisition for patient treatment
7. Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) 2011-present
Commissioned stereotactic body frame for Truebeam machine
Perform QA for SBRT patients
Supervise for daily CBCT acquisition and patient set up
8. Routine physics duties (1999-present)
Perform weekly charts check/review
Supervise daily QA performed by therapists
Perform monthly and annual QA
Perform plan check
Support dosimetry as needed
Perform IMRT QA
Construct custom compensator using bolus, lead, aquaplast etc.
2005-2008 Member, membership committee of American of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
2009-2014 Member, AAPM Task Group 143
2010-present Reviewer, Journal of brachytherapy (1 per year)
2014-present Reviewer, Medical Physics
2014-present Abstract reviewer, Medical Physics (25-30 per year)
2015-present Oral Examiner, American Board of Radiology(ABR) for Therapeutic Radiological Physics