Director for Resident Research Education; Adult Cardiothoracic Fellowship Program Director
Education and Training
I completed my undergraduate degree at the University of Notre Dame in 2002. I then obtained my medical school training and a Master's degree in Public Health at Tulane University in New Orleans. My residency training was completed at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and included one year of a clinical research fellowship with Dr. David Reich. I then completed two clinical fellowships in cardiothoracic anesthesiology and critical care medicine at Emory University. I am currently working on completing a Master's Degree in clinical research at the University of Maryland, Baltimore.
I currently work as a cardiothoracic anesthesiologist and critical care physician in the cardiac surgery intensive care unit. I find caring for critically ill cardiac surgery patients to be an extremely satisfying profession and I take great pride in getting them through one of the most difficult challenges in their life successfully. In addition I have formal master's level training in Epidemiology. I use these skills to perform outcomes research related to cardiac surgery. Much of my research is related to coagulation, transfusion, and ECMO related bleeding.
ECMO Transfusion Coagulation Cardiac surgery outcomes Transfusion associated lung injury Epidemiology
1. Mazzeffi M, Sanchez PG, Herr D, Krause E, Evans CF, Rector R, McCormick B, Pham S, Taylor B, Griffith B, Kon Z. Outcomes of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR) for refractory cardiac arrest in adult cardiac surgery patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; In press PMID: 27422361
2. Mazzeffi M, Greenwood J, Tanaka K, Menaker J, Rector R, Herr D, Kon Z, Lee J, Griffith B, Rajagopal K, Pham S. Bleeding, transfusion, and mortality on extracorporeal life support: ECLS working group on thrombosis and hemostasis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 4975(15): 1250-3. PMID: 26443879
3. Mazzeffi M, Kassa W, Gammie J, Tanaka K, Roman P, Zhan M, Griffith B, Rock P. Preoperative aspirin use and lung injury after aortic valve replacement surgery: a retrospective cohort study. Anesth Analg. 2015; 121 (2): 271-7. PMID: 25993389
4. Mazzeffi M, Zivot J, Buchman T, Halkos M: In hospital mortality after cardiac surgery: patient characteristics, timing, and association with postoperative length of intensive care unit and hospital stay. Ann Thorac Surg; 97 (4): 1220-5. PMID: 24360878
5. Mazzeffi M, Flynn B, Bodian C, Bronheim D: Preoperative Pulse Pressure has No Apparent Association with Perioperative Mortality after Lower Extremity Arterial Bypass. Anesth Analg 2012; 114 (6): 1170-6. PMID: 21642608
Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
Society of Critical Care Medicine
American Society of Anesthesiologists
International Anesthesia Research Society
July 2016-current Society for Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Starter Grant
Procoagulant and anticoagulant factor levels, thrombin
generation, and bleeding during veno-arterial ECMO.
PI: Michael Mazzeffi
Total award: $50,000
September 2014-June 2016 Department of Defense grant
Prolongation of platelet storage time by protection against
mitochondrial energy failure.
US Air Force FA8650-14-2-6D17
PI: Gary Fiskum
Role: 0.05% FTE, sub-investigator
Total award: $281,000
July 2014-June 2015 Departmental seed grant
Effect of cardiopulmonary bypass on platelet mitochondrial respiration.
PI: Michael Mazzeffi
Total award: $10,000
Bwindi Community Health Center
JFK Memorial Hospital
Kien Gang Hospital
Rach Gia, Vietnam