Institute of Human Virology
Education and Training
1987 B.A. Biology with Honors, University of California at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, California
1996 M.D. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, D.C.
Post Graduate Education and Training
1996-1999 Internship & Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
2000-2002 Fellowship, Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Dr. Kuruppu attended medical school at George Washington University in Washington DC, where she first became interested in the care of patients with HIV infection. She trained in Internal Medicine at University of Maryland, and continued to have a strong commitment to caring for patients with immunodeficiency resulting from HIV infection, and the comorbid conditions that accompany that diagnosis. With this interest in mind, she pursued fellowship training at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, where she conducted basic research on cytotoxic T-lymphocytes active in the immune response to HIV and to HCV. During her fellowship, she traveled to South Africa as part of a team effort to initiate treatment of HIV in Pretoria. This exposure to international medicine, and bringing HIV treatment and expertise to developing countries attracted her to join the faculty at University of Maryland, as part of the Institute of Human Virology's PEPFAR engagement in 9 countries in Africa and the Caribbean. She worked primarily in Kenya and Uganda, in mission hospitals, training clinicians in pathophysiology of HIV infection, and the complexity of maintaining sustained virologic control with antiretroviral medications.
Since 2010, Dr. Kuruppu’s efforts have been based domestically, caring for patients with a variety of infectious conditions, in addition to HIV infection. Her practice includes hepatitis c treatment, infectious complications of surgeries, management of outpatient parenteral antibiotic therapy (OPAT), and referrals of patients suspected of having Lyme disease, travel-related infections, or fever of unknown origin.
HIV, HCV, wound infections, orthopedic infections, Lyme disease
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Kuruppu, JC, TP Le and CU Tuazon (1999). "Vancomycin-associated thrombocytopenia: case report and review of the literature." Am J Hematol 60(3): 249-50.
- Douek, DC, JM Brenchley, MR Betts, DR Ambrozak, BJ Hill, Y Okamoto, JP Casazza, J Kuruppu, K Kunstman, S Wolinsky, Z Grossman, M Dybul, A Oxenius, DA Price, M Connors and RA Koup (2002). "HIV preferentially infects HIV-specific CD4+ T cells." Nature 417(6884): 95-8.
- Kuruppu, JC, M Corretti, P Mackowiak and MC Roghmann (2002). "Overuse of transthoracic echocardiography in the diagnosis of native valve endocarditis." Arch Intern Med 162(15): 1715-20.
- Brenchley, JM, NJ Karandikar, MR Betts, DR Ambrozak, BJ Hill, LE Crotty, JP Casazza, J Kuruppu, SA Migueles, M Connors, M Roederer, DC Douek and RA Koup (2003). "Expression of CD57 defines replicative senescence and antigen-induced apoptotic death of CD8+ T cells." Blood 101(7): 2711-2720.
- Lore, K, MR Betts, JM Brenchley, J Kuruppu, S Khojasteh, S Perfetto, M Roederer, RA Seder and RA Koup (2003). "Toll-like receptor ligands modulate dendritic cells to augment cytomegalovirus- and HIV-1-specific T cell responses." J Immunol 171(8): 4320-8.
- Brenchley, JM, BJ Hill, DR Ambrozak, DA Price, FJ Guenaga, JP Casazza, J Kuruppu, J Yazdani, SA Migueles, M Connors, M Roederer, DC Douek and RA Koup (2004). "T-cell subsets that harbor human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in vivo: implications for HIV pathogenesis." J Virol 78(3): 1160-8.
- Latinovic O, Kuruppu J, Davis C, Le N, Heredia A. “Pharmacotherapy of HIV-1 Infection: Focus on CCR5 Antagonist Maraviroc.” Clin Med Ther. 2009;1:1497-1510.
- Miller, K., J. Kuruppu, J. Kovacs. Interleukin-2. in Cytokine Therapeutics in Infectious Disease. Ed. S. Holland. Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven Publishers. 2001.
- Vaughan L., Patel, D., Kuruppu J. Infectious Diseases. In NMS Medicine. Ed. S. Wolfsthal. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2011.
- Kuruppu JC, Wright, WF. Urinary Tract Infections. In Essentials of Clinical Infectious Diseases. Ed. W. Wright. New York, Demos Medical Publishing, LLC. 2013.
- Bailey J, Kuruppu JC, Wright, WF. Pyelonephritis and Renal Abscess. In Essentials of Clinical Infectious Diseases. Ed. W. Wright. New York, Demos Medical Publishing, LLC. 2013.
- Kuruppu J: Orthopaedic Infections. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2016;14(12):2. http://dx.doi.org/10.5435/OKOJ-14-12-2